Video Labeling

David E Elkins

• Premium Member

It usually depends on the production company. Since networks and companies that do several shows can maintain huge libraries of tape, they've all worked out their own systems of labeling to keep track of things.

Basic information will usually include show title, episode #, camera number and/or roll #, date, and so on.

• Premium Member

I always put a job number (internally assigned) date, brief description of footage, format (720p, 1080i, etc.), frame rate (24p, 30, 60p) framing (4:3, 16x9) and if i used a scene file, i'll remark which one, and possibly tweaks made to it (but not always). also, tape number.

For what it's worth, my AC usually gets that information from the production co. or coordinator and prints them using Avery. He leave an underline for information he fills out on set. It's fast, efficient and looks very professional. The usual stuff is as follows but not all this information gets on the label:

Production Co.

Production Title

Job Number

Tape Number

Timecode number

Type of HD

Aspect ration

Frame rate

Number of audio channels

Audio settings

Tone setting (dB)

Special Tape (ex. if your putting all your off-speed footage from a Varicam on a separate tape)

I just worked on a shoot produced by an MTV guy, and his standard was:

Production Title, Date, Camera, Tape No. for the Day

For example, the production was called "San Francisco Values" and say we shot with the B camera today

SFV 081407 B01

It was a good way of catalogueing and keeping track of how much tape we were burning per diem. Don't know if it's a standard with any other productions or networks out there.