music videos

Chris Tangey

Hi everyone, I work in a little town called Alice Springs in Australia, we are 1500kms from any city so it is a little difficult to get feedback from peers on what we are doing here. Because we are so isolated I have to Produce, direct, shoot and edit my video clips (usually "country" genre) myself. We shoot on HDV and cut on final cut for sub US$5000 budgets.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, especially on our latest ones, "John Williamson" and "Ronni Rae Rivers 2" which you'll find at:

http://homepage.mac.com/alicespringsfilmtv...ieTheater5.html

Thanks and Regards, Chris

• Premium Member
Hi everyone, I work in a little town called Alice Springs in Australia, we are 1500kms from any city so it is a little difficult to get feedback from peers on what we are doing here. Because we are so isolated I have to Produce, direct, shoot and edit my video clips (usually "country" genre) myself. We shoot on HDV and cut on final cut for sub US$5000 budgets.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, especially on our latest ones, "John Williamson" and "Ronni Rae Rivers 2" which you'll find at:

http://homepage.mac.com/alicespringsfilmtv...ieTheater5.html

Thanks and Regards, Chris

You did a very good job from a technical standpoint. I think it is very pro indeed. From an artistic standpoint, and I realize this is subjective, I felt your color tones were a little bright for the sorrowful theme the song was trying to project. I felt that your touch of the stars at the end was more powerful than the overly bright landscape earlier on. Just a suggestion and I suppose the brightness can be a way of making the song uplifting despite the sadness felt by the crooner.

• Premium Member

Technically speaking your execution is excellent. You're very talented with the camera. I loved the tilt down in front of the twilight sky.

Content-wise I felt you were a little on-the-nose. A topic like this may have been better served with more abstract/poetic approach. It's subjective so it's difficult to critique. But I think a method that allowed everyone to walk away with a different interpretation would have been more effective. I thought that's where you were headed with the opening shot, which I loved, by the way.

What kind of jib/camera did you use?

Congrats,

Bill

Thanks Matthew, I suppose I've just got to learn to storyboard a bit more rather than letting it all happen a bit organically. While obviously there was a lot of planning involved some elements are overlooked, being

self-taught I guess some "film language" skills are missing!

Technically speaking your execution is excellent. You're very talented with the camera. I loved the tilt down in front of the twilight sky.

Content-wise I felt you were a little on-the-nose. A topic like this may have been better served with more abstract/poetic approach. It's subjective so it's difficult to critique. But I think a method that allowed everyone to walk away with a different interpretation would have been more effective. I thought that's where you were headed with the opening shot, which I loved, by the way.

What kind of jib/camera did you use?

Congrats,

Bill

Thanks also Bill,

Again, planning the artistic side , even having a story, lets me down a bit sometimes. Maybe I need to lift the budgets to allow that planning time to happen. I'd also appreciate your thoughts on this one:

http://homepage.mac.com/alicespringsfilmtv...ieTheater1.html

By the way Bill I shoot on a Sony HVR Z1P and the jib is a double tubed aluminum job, by Cambo Artes CB 73050. It is very strong and reaches I guess 12'

above the ground fully extended.