si 2k to 35mm transfer

Deepak Bajracharya

Namaste,

I would like to know if any specific path to be followed on making 35mm print from footages shot by SI2k mini both in front of camera and during post.

I will go for 2.39:1 scope framing for 35mm scope print with 24p and 2k resolution.

Let me know the sensitivity of the camera in terms of ASA ( may be 400ASA?? ) so that I be able to maintain the lighting ratio using my light meter. I think it is not wise to set the aperture just by looking on the lcd and laptop computer.

Regards

This project is 60seconds advertisement, half of it to be shot in chroma key destined for theatre.

I wont have much time to work with the look set menu so I just would like to know if anybody has previously tested and determined the sensivity of this camera so that it be comfortable to use light meter and maintain the lighting ratio and set the aperture.

Regards,

Namaste,

Thank you very much for the link. I finished the one day shooting last Saturday. Now the issue is that whether I would be able to bring back the footages in post that is overexposed by one and half to two stops.

I had a 320ASA setting on my lightmeter, lit and kept the aperture accordingly. But in 30% of the total shot, my editor on the laptop recording the footages told me the shots were dark hence I opened up the aperture with one and half to 2 stops.

After finishing the shooting, when we previewed, those shots were actually overexpoed.

Regards,

You should treat this like reversal film, it's best underexposed rather than overexposed. If you can correct the overexposed material would depend if you've lost any information due to clipping.

If you look at the Silicon Imaging web site you'll find tutorials on how to use their displays. Best way would be to test your camera to work out its ASA and use the histograms etc to ensure that you're not clipping your highlights once you've set your exposure from the meter.

I wouldn't use a laptop screen to judge exposure.

I agree, with Brian here, the laptop screen is a bad idea for exposure, especially gamma accuracy, unless you KNOW that it's calibrated properly. So that is why we've offered so many exposure tools in our software. You have a histogram, a false-color zone metering system, and a spot meter.

The ASA of the camera it it's default 10-bit LOG state is around ISO250 for 3200K lighting, although you can push it to around ISO320 and use a .look 3D LUT and the internal color-corrector's non-destructive gamma/offset/gain controls to normalize the brightness to proper levels without incurring a noise-hit (again, it's non-destructive, so you can always reverse it in post).

But definitely if you opened up another 2 f-stops from a nominal ISO320 exposure you're gonna start clipping quite a bit . . . at that point you only have around 3.5 f-stops or slightly less from middle grey to white clip (normally exposed at ISO250 you would have 4.7, and at ISO320 you get a little over 5 f-stops from middle-grey to white clip).