Is the Misterium Sensor an AltaSens CMOS?

Cesar Rubio

Looking at the images published yesterday on RedUser and comparing those to the ones of the SI-2K camera (which has an AltaSens CMOS) they look pretty much the same to me.

So the question is:

Is a Mystery to be resolved....

Thanks,

Cesar Rubio.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the images published yesterday on RedUser and comparing those to the ones of the SI-2K camera (which has an AltaSens CMOS) they look pretty much the same to me.

So the question is:

Is a Mystery to be resolved....

Thanks,

Cesar Rubio.

PD.

This is the AltaSens website:

http://www.altasens.com/

• Premium Member

I don't see how that argument would preclude it from being from Altasens. It has to come from somewhere. All Jannard is saying that he has an exclusive deal with a chip manufacturer, so it could be Altasens or someone else. Although I'd guess it not from Dalsa ;)

• Premium Member

It certainly isn't a CCD; it must by nature of the claimed performance have an awful lot of binning regions and consequently lots of output amplifiers, and that would require CMOS-style semiconductor technology.

My supposition is that it is CMOS, but they're choosing to call it something else for commercial reasons.

Phil

It certainly isn't a CCD; it must by nature of the claimed performance have an awful lot of binning regions and consequently lots of output amplifiers, and that would require CMOS-style semiconductor technology.

My supposition is that it is CMOS, but they're choosing to call it something else for commercial reasons.

Phil

huh? it's been stated about a trillion times now that its a cmos sensor.

http://www.red.com/technology

R.

• Premium Member

What I delight in is revealing just how jealously people are prepared to guard unexceptional things. The barrier to creating competing technology is not a broadest-possible-terms overview of your design approach, as I suspect you know.

What's interesting is not whether the answer is a few dozen or a few hundred; what's interesting is the technical compromises attendant each, and how you have overcome them. That's where the opportunity for original and interesting work lies.

Phil

Sure it's interesting, but only if you're you're working on the design and electronics of the camera. And it's not so much as guarding unexceptional things, but guarding "everything" in a certain area incase anything accidentally slips out that you or I might not think important, but someone else does.

The chip is not from Altasens. I know who manufactured it. If RED won't say then I certainly won't. I have a sense of what theydid and did not do in the design, and what is impressive is not just the pixels count or the sensitivity to noise floor level, but the fact that they can drive it as they do without thermal failure. That's the big engineering feat, and apparently they've pulled it off.

While I don't care about the details, someone does and it's only a matter of time until someone buys one and reverse engineers it.

What pisses me off is the whole 007 part of the marketing campaign. No pics on the website even after the camera is released. Hush hush about every facet of the device. I live 10 minutes from where RED is based - and I doubt if I could just "drop in and have a look" at the cam. It really is irritating. Talk of NDAs left and right.

Couple that with a forum of zealots and ass kissing Jannard sycophants, and the whole project is really nauseating.

Oddly enough, I still want one and am planning to purchase one. The chances are 100% I will own one as I have the wherewithal to do so tomorrow if the opportunity arose. Just show me the damn camera - so tired of looking at spec sheets, hype, and speculation.

While I don't care about the details, someone does and it's only a matter of time until someone buys one and reverse engineers it.

What pisses me off is the whole 007 part of the marketing campaign. No pics on the website even after the camera is released. Hush hush about every facet of the device. I live 10 minutes from where RED is based - and I doubt if I could just "drop in and have a look" at the cam. It really is irritating. Talk of NDAs left and right.

Couple that with a forum of zealots and ass kissing Jannard sycophants, and the whole project is really nauseating.

Oddly enough, I still want one and am planning to purchase one. The chances are 100% I will own one as I have the wherewithal to do so tomorrow if the opportunity arose. Just show me the damn camera - so tired of looking at spec sheets, hype, and speculation.

I'm really confused... what is it that you want to know? Beyond sensor design specifics... which are always assumed to be under NDA. (try asking Canon for the white papers on their CMOS and DSP architecture specifics). Hush hush? Ask Evin or any one of the other 24 first delivery receipients if there is some mysterious Cold War secret angle you want photographed.

Here's a brilliant approach. If there is something you want to know. Ask! If you want to drop by and possibly see the camera... Ask! They might not have any cameras anymore to show since they seem to have sold off the first batch.

Or you could go to IBC. I know you can take a gander there. Or you could have gone to NAB and taken a gander there. Or you could try to rent one... I'm pretty sure an LA rental house was in the first 25. Hmmm what other ways are there to get your hands on one... well I'll leave that to your imagination. But I know that sitting around whining like a little ... perfectly nice fellow... is not one of them.

• Premium Member

> Couple that with a forum of zealots and ass kissing Jannard sycophants, and the whole project is really nauseating.

Couldn't agree more.

I will probably never get within a hundred miles of one of these cameras anyway. They've made it difficult enough to find out whether they're really any damned good. But to be honest, the whole thing just leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth - like no other piece of simple technology I've ever seen before, it's wrapped up in such a thick layer of hype, bullshit and sycophantism I really don't want to be associated with it.

Phil

> Couple that with a forum of zealots and ass kissing Jannard sycophants, and the whole project is really nauseating.

Couldn't agree more.

I will probably never get within a hundred miles of one of these cameras anyway. They've made it difficult enough to find out whether they're really any damned good. But to be honest, the whole thing just leaves an unpleasant taste in my mouth - like no other piece of simple technology I've ever seen before, it's wrapped up in such a thick layer of hype, bullshit and sycophantism I really don't want to be associated with it.

Phil

And to quote your enthusiastic post on CML today :

"Great, cool, where can I rent one, what does it cost?"

So just exactly how many output amps do you have on that thing, and what's the range of shading correction you're having to do?

Phil "Not Expecting An Answer" Rhodes

It seems like a lot of your questions are about things you already know are not going to get answered.

Ever tried punching the ocean?

• Premium Member
AGREE!

WELL I DONT! i'm sorry if phil's posts are not enthusiastic enough for some people on this forum (particularly recent members), but this is not a fan site it is a forum for discussion and as such it is far more interesting to have negative investigation than no investigation at all. there is no need to post fluffy comments about how great things are unless you are imparting first hand information of use to film making professionals. so moan if you want, but don't say people cant post just because they are not shaking pom poms. i for one am not interested in using technology i am not allowed to critisise and i am very much looking forward to testing a red camera...

keith "pointlessly writing something in the middle of his name a la cml"mottram

Couldn't agree more.

Phil

Phil I've always enjoyed your posts but this one strikes me as a bit off. Its really hard for me to go to reduser too and read another "holy crap" response, which I think runs now into the millions, every time a pic is posted, but to totally disavow any attempt to use the cam for yourself and therefore judge the image for yourself because it has left a bad taste in your mouth seems wrongheaded. Why not prove or disprove the hype and bull if it exists and if it doesn't well then you have a new tool at your disposal. At the end of the day its just a better or worse hammer. I don't see how asking for chip specs helps you when the image should be the focus. The hype and synchophants have left a bad taste in my mouth too but why let those things shut the door on a possibly better tool.

Anyway since Mr. Nattress is here could he give us a quick step by step rundown on how best to deal with the Raw footage for a basic non effects shoot once loaded in saving some time from the mistakes we will make so we can scrutinize better footage instead of mismanged ones.

Edited by Michael Peploe