Is the Misterium Sensor an AltaSens CMOS?

Cesar Rubio

Wow...

Well Stephen, you gotta admit, I certainly tried. Looks like some things are not going to change.

Apparently you guys seem to think there is some value in keeping an advasarial approach to things. Fair enough.

Others seem to think that being right is more important than being heard.

Jay

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...

Well Stephen, you gotta admit, I certainly tried. Looks like some things are not going to change.

Apparently you guys seem to think there is some value in keeping an advasarial approach to things. Fair enough.

Others seem to think that being right is more important than being heard.

Jay

What are you talking about...

So tell us what do you want us to do... I thought I was trying to be friendly if my approach didn't appear that way... I'm sorry... but that's the way I tried it...

What are you talking about...

So tell us what do you want us to do... I thought I was trying to be friendly if my approach didn't appear that way... I'm sorry... but that's the way I tried it...

You're very cool to me Gary. I was grateful for the post. But you kind of slammed Jim in your earlier post. If you feel that I way I respect it, but Jim TRIED to move past all this stuff (And even apologized for the marketing, if I recall).

I was hoping people would allow the past to remain that way and start talking about cinematography in regards to the RED camera. I was disappointed that you choose to make another dig instead.

"Maybe this is what he should have written...

Guys sorry for being a moron somethimes... I'm sorry for some of the comments I've made... lets start again and now lets talk...

That would be the way to approach it..."

Perhaps you were making an honest suggestion. But Jim already make his attempt to settle things and move on, and your post makes it sound like his attempt was not good enough. I think the attempt itself is what matters. IMHO.

Your post to me was cool and meant in fun. I was grateful for it, and I still am. I'll respect your other post, I just wish you would have chosen a different track.

Thanks

Jay

You're very cool to me Gary. I was grateful for the post. But you kind of slammed Jim in your earlier post. If you feel that I way I respect it, but Jim TRIED to move past all this stuff (And even apologized for the marketing, if I recall).

I really don't know how to answer this...

With out it coming across as a slam against someone... but sometimes it takes a little more effort than just saying I'm sorry...

How can I put it... a person I know... tells you to "f" off... then they're sorry... then two days later they tell you to "f" off again.. then they're sorry... after a while it gets kind of tiring... so you really don't have much to do with them... then they come back to you and they tell you there sorry again...

Well sometimes it takes a while to really see that that person has changed...

I hope that explains it...

I have a friend where I live... it took him a while to understand where I was coming from with the camera... he thought gee your questions are kinda of tough and you don't like the camera... but as we talk he sees where I'm coming from...

My .02 is I still think that the camera is really a year away... in other words all the bugs are worked out... all the workflow issues have been worked out... the filmout process... etc....

I guess really what I'm trying to say.. "hey I rather let someone else spend their time and money and figure out the headaches and once they're figured out. Yeah I guess that kinda of sucks... not wiling to gamble... well not on a new camera... but willing to gamble my own money on making a movie... yes....

Edited by Gary McClurg

I guess Jim's mistake was announcing the camera in the first place. I have'nt been to the Red site in awhile because I want to see some footy, but then again Sodenberg's movie will be out and then I can really see some footage. But those of you who are professional DP's with gripes I just don't get it. Is it that you were not consulted or hired to the team? I mean i'm trying to understand because the fan boy posts are f'n ridiculous and the anti fan boy posts likewise. This camera won't replace David Mullen any more than the advent of 24p on prosumer cameras. I personally can't see what some you guys will pull off with your usual magical skill and this camera that can be under 25k for a functional package. I come to this site for information and inspiration but these threads are f'n ridiculous! I mean really can this camera be a bad thing? Nothing will compensate for a cinematographers ability to light a scene...nothing. That's what brought me to this site, I have an HVX-200 that can be noisy as hell, especially with user error i.e. improper exposure etc, etc. Phil chill...Max relax...David keep being the cool MF we know and love. Its just another camera, but I have to admit its been nice to know it was coming and actually arrived not just vaporware and in less than a year and half.

I really don't know how to answer this...

With out it coming across as a slam against someone... but sometimes it takes a little more effort than just saying I'm sorry...

How can I put it... a person I know... tells you to "f" off... then they're sorry... then two days later they tell you to "f" off again.. then they're sorry... after a while it gets kind of tiring... so you really don't have much to do with them... then they come back to you and they tell you there sorry again...

Well sometimes it takes a while to really see that that person has changed...

I hope that explains it...

I have a friend where I live... it took him a while to understand where I was coming from with the camera... he thought gee your questions are kinda of tough and you don't like the camera... but as we talk he sees where I'm coming from...

My .02 is I still think that the camera is really a year away... in other words all the bugs are worked out... all the workflow issues have been worked out... the filmout process... etc....

I guess really what I'm trying to say.. "hey I rather let someone else spend their time and money and figure out the headaches and once they're figured out. Yeah I guess that kinda of sucks... not wiling to gamble... well not on a new camera... but willing to gamble my own money on making a movie... yes....

I hear ya.. And waiting until it's finished is an intelligent approach. Jim himself has told the reservation holders that if they wish, they can hold on getting their camera until all features are made available, and they will not lose their place in line. Also their serial number will be held for them.

As for me, well I got a $2,500 credit for buying early so I am not complaining.

Jim's a passionate guy.. He can blow his top.. So can I (And I have!). I guess nobody's perfect. Because of this, I am wondering if perhaps it's best bad things are forgotten, and people try to move to a more productive conversation..

I'm kind of beating a dead horse at this point.. You know where I am coming from, and you gave me a good listen. That's all I can ask for. I'll respect whatever you decide to do.

have a great weekend Gary! in case I don't get on here before then!

Jay

• Premium Member
The reason scope lenses on red is a BAD idea is that you waste resolution on the chip top and bottom, and you waste resolution on the lenses left and right ....

If you shoot flat 1.78 and crop top and bottom to make 2.39, you're using 74.5% of the chip. Put a 2:1 scope lens on 1.78 and crop the sides to make 2.39, and you're using 67.2% of the chip. More glass, less pixels, and a pain in the tush to use.....

But, that being said, if you have the camera and you have the lens, there's absolutely no harm in giving it a try. Red has no optical block, not even a mirror shutter. So there's no way that any PL mount lens could hurt it or vice versa. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether you like the look.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I don't think the people who love Red beyond belief will have their minds changed and I think that those who dislike Red will have their minds changed also..

Maybe we should have General Portreas shoot some tests? ;-)

-- J.S.