What light is this??

Jesse Cairnie

I stumbled upon this photo..

Any ideas of what light(s) this might be.. (if its a flash.. please.. some one slap me)

Guesses, theories, I was there when he shot its, I shot a picture exactly like this onces.. they all help..

Cheers!

post-22427-1188985428_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jesse Cairnie

I'm not sure if this actual photo is taken by dave hill but the style that he uses is sort of similer.

If you go to his website http://www.davehillphoto.com/ there is a link on the bottom right that says "behind the scene" you should be able to get something out of there.

Sander,

• Premium Member
HDR (High Dynamic Range) with some heavy midtone contrast.

Yep I second that. And I have a gut feeling that that images was heavily painted on and posted. The sky looks CG and the bg smells of matte painting. My guess is green/blue screen and posted bg.

Cheers, Dave

It's definitely a composite image, like most advertising photography these days. Probably at least 7 or 8 different shots combined together. I would say the guy was shot in a studio using flash. The key light is coming from the upper right, the direction in which he is looking. Looks to be a hard light based on the shadow under his chin. However the contrast & quality of this light doesn't match that of the sky or the urban landscape around him. The light on the street feels softer than the light on him. The light on him would be coming from a direct sun light however this doesn't match with the sky. This sort of mismatch of lighting is what gives that unreal quality to the image.

If you look at pdn magazine (Photo District News) you will see an article each month where they break down the elements of shots like this.

(SLAP!!!)

Thanks for that Jonathan.. I had a sneeking suspicion of the major post work..

Thanks to all of your guys' valuable information. . and an entire days research..

I've scheduled a photo shoot with a band for the 17th and will post the results of my attempt..

Cheers!

I've done several photos using the HDR process and this Wierd Al example pretty much fits the description. Its done with several exposures (usually 3 to 5) exposed at key, then incremental stops under and over key. There's a special program called PhotoMatix that cleverly combines the exposures into a rather unique cartoony image. MY personal guess, and perhaps its a bit naive of me, is that everything was in fact in front of the camera. They probably took a RAW picture (since you can't trust a dog to stay still for multiple exposures), then grabbed several exposures via photoshop, then put them into the processing to yield the image. Typically the process will yield an undesired effect on skintone, so I have a feeling they did a less intense process and painted that version in to the skintones. As for the lighting on his face, its probably safe to say there's a soft source somewhere camera right to give a nice wrap to his face. Anyways, this is a really cool, really fun process to experiment around with. There's a great deal of HDR work on www.flickr.com and you can find several extensive tutorials on the process if you just do a simple google search.

Here is an example of an HDR image I made off a single RAW file!

chickcopycm1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OK.. finally got my photos finished from the band shoot.. took a stab at the whole HDR software.. i have to say it turned out well..

I shot this in a warehouse in Seattle, Its a single RAW file, not much a "multiple exposures" person..

Im pretty stoked at the textures, as thats what initially turned me on to the "HDR"

Thanks again for the help..

Jesse

post-22427-1191478537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jesse Cairnie

Thank you!

Ya, we did a bunch of publicity "Promo lighting" shots earlier that day.

The ones i did in this style are the "look at how cool our band is" photos

They are a Heavy Metal band so "The Tougher, The Better" hahaa!!

Thank you!

That photo, and what you did with it, is ABSOLUTELY stunning!

Edited by Jamie Lewis

Hi Jesse:

That is a great image, you are very talented. I have a good friend who has requested that I shoot some stills of his band and I would love to be able to give him something like this. Can you detail your lighting setup and a little about your post processing workflow?

I have a Nikon D-80, all the lenses necessary and a set of three studio 400 WS strobes with all of the light modifiers. I do mostly art photography as well as cinematography so any pointers you can give to get something in this neighborhood would be appreciated. Not looking to ripoff your style but my style is so far from this, I don't know where to begin.

Thanks,

Dan Brockett

Thank you!

Ok.. Here is the original.. as for set up.. (2) 800ws behind the band (and the pillars observe the stand).. (1) 400ws with Chimera for the key.. 1/2000 at f4 and ISO200... so much for my secret.. hahaa.. enjoy

Note.. This was about 3 hours of photoshop to make work.. far more involved than I anticipated.. assumed it was a "plug n' play"..

Enjoy

post-22427-1191623921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jesse Cairnie

Hi Jessie:

Thanks for posting that information. I take it your camera was in manual mode to get a sync speed of 1/2000th with strobes?

You are very good in Photoshop, I love what you did with the floor texture.

Nic job and thanks for the pointers. My take aways are, major backlight behind, normal key in front, little to no fill, and I had better learn a lot in Photoshop ;-)

All the best,

Dan

Ok.. Here is the original.. as for set up.. (2) 800ws behind the band (and the pillars observe the stand).. (1) 400ws with Chimera for the key.. 1/2000 at f4 and ISO200... so much for my secret.. hahaa.. enjoy

Note.. This was about 3 hours of photoshop to make work.. far more involved than I anticipated.. assumed it was a "plug n' play"..

Enjoy