Using Kinor 35H w/ Steadicam

Pritchett Cotten

Hello all in the Kinor Konvas forum!! I have an upcoming project, I am using a 35H and I am wanting to use steadicam. Any one out there had experience using the 35H and steadicam. What are the concerns/issues?

What I know, and have, so far: I am using a set of the Lomo spherical 35mm lenses, and I am aware that the pitch of the gears on the lenses need to mesh with the gears on the remote focus pulling system. I also have the adapter for the magazines to position them at 90 degrees for Steadicam use. The power for the camera has also been converted to 4-pin XLR, but the camera electronics have NOT been updated.

Any help is a BIG help, thanks!!!

Phil's right, the H even with a 400ft. mag is a HEAVY beast for a steadicam. If you're using Lomo's, a Konvas 2m would be a better choice for steadicam work, an excellent complimentary choice as a matter of fact, IF you can get one for the days you're shooting steadicam. If you have dialog, go in expecting ADR with the Konvas though.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Phil's right, the H even with a 400ft. mag is a HEAVY beast for a steadicam. If you're using Lomo's, a Konvas 2m would be a better choice for steadicam work, an excellent complimentary choice as a matter of fact, IF you can get one for the days you're shooting steadicam. If you have dialog, go in expecting ADR with the Konvas though.

Yes, I am aware of the weight. I have spoken w/ an operator and said the weight was no problem. The scenes are diaolog so we are preferring to not have to ADR, hence wanting to use the Kinor.

• Premium Member

That weight is certainly doable, it just won't be pleasant. Depending on the weight of the lenses (I'm not familiar with Lomo weights) you could be pushing the envelope, but it will probably be fine. Just be aware that the rate of fatigue will be much faster than it would be with a lighter camera. Prepare to give the operator plenty of time to rest between long takes.

The only possible issue I see is the video tap. Do you have one? If not you need to get one obviously. Other than that it seems like it will be OK.

Hello all in the Kinor Konvas forum!! I have an upcoming project, I am using a 35H and I am wanting to use steadicam. Any one out there had experience using the 35H and steadicam. What are the concerns/issues?

Should be just fine. The DP flying a 535 on a recent shoot I was on remarked that it felt about the same weight as his 35H.. so it's definitely doable.. and I know he has flown his 35H before. Have fun! Just get ready to take lots of breaks :)

• Premium Member
Should be just fine. The DP flying a 535 on a recent shoot I was on remarked that it felt about the same weight as his 35H.. so it's definitely doable.. and I know he has flown his 35H before. Have fun! Just get ready to take lots of breaks :)

The 535B weighs about 24 pounds with mag and video top. The 535A weighs 31 pounds with a mag. So it seems the 35H is somewhere in the middle. Flying a 535B isn't too bad, but it is heavy. Flying a 535A is a deal breaker for a lot of operators because it's just too heavy. Accessories and lens weight could be the difference between this camera being flyable or not.

Phil, is that 27 lbs without a mag and lens, or is it fully loaded?