good laptop for p2 hd

Ram Shani

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hi

i am looking to buy good laptop to record from my hvx200

what model you recommend

what hardware is needed( processor? CPU? ram?)

thanks

Hi Ram, you also get the HVX 200. Mine arrived last week...after several considerations...:)

About the laptop, since most of us in Indonesia are Mac based, the solution could be MacBook Pro with the Duel Adapter.

However, for myself, I'm thinking of going with the used 15inch Powerbook G4 last generation (1.67GHZ). The reason why because with the adapter, you have to hassle with an extra item on the bag. With Powerbook, it already have a PCMCIA slot. Btw, FCP is a P2 friendly now with its log and capture option for P2.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ram, you also get the HVX 200. Mine arrived last week...after several considerations...:)

About the laptop, since most of us in Indonesia are Mac based, the solution could be MacBook Pro with the Duel Adapter.

However, for myself, I'm thinking of going with the used 15inch Powerbook G4 last generation (1.67GHZ). The reason why because with the adapter, you have to hassle with an extra item on the bag. With Powerbook, it already have a PCMCIA slot. Btw, FCP is a P2 friendly now with its log and capture option for P2.

I have both a PB G4 1.67 and a MBP 2.2 with the Duel Adapter. My speed tests show the MBP and Duel to be about 30-40% faster at downloading P2 cards to any FW drives. Either work, I take the more beat up PB on the road and leave the MBP at home for more local shoots with less chance of me losing it or damaging it as I fly.

You can find used PB G4s pretty cheap. Or, never thought I would say this, but a cheap PC works absolutely fine as a P2 dump station. Since you can find brand new cheap PCs for dirt cheap, it might be a valid tool for you. I am a total MacHead but have been on shoots where I had to use a PC laptop to dump with and it works fine as well.

Best,

Dan Brockett

(add on) Oh, I just re-read your post, you want to record to a laptop? Hmm...highly not recommended. If you do, one crash means all of your footage is gone forever. To me, it's not a valid way of working unless you are shooting tabletop or something where you could easily repeat it if you lose your footage.

Edited by dan brockett