Nizo 2056 Battery Question

Dan Nocera

Hello,

Great to see other super-8 fans!

I just bought a Nizo 2056 with a rusted-out battery pack.

I already have a Nizo 481.

My question is this: Can use the battery pack from the 481 with alkaline AA's?

Will I fry the camera if I try using 1.5 V AA?

Do I need rechargeable Ni-cads 1.2V?

Thanks!!

• Premium Member
Hello,

Thanks!!

Hey Dan, what are the printed instructions on the Nizo 2056 that you just purchased?

• Premium Member
Hello,

Thanks!!

Hi Dan,

hope that helps:

The Nizo 2056 sound can be powered both by either regular AA batteries (1.5V) or rechargeable AA cells (1.2V).

So yes, you can use the Nizo twin-screwed battery container filled with six regular AA batteries (1.5V) from your Nizo 481 on your Nizo 2056 sound. You can also fill the same container with rechargeable AA cells (1.2V) and use it as a rechargeable battery pack on the Nizo 2056 sound.

The housings are basically identical whether they are marked by Nizo as rechargeable battery pack or regular battery containers. You can fill either batteries or cells into them, it does not matter. Obviously, though, the battery containers cannot be recharged ;) .

By the way, the same is also correct for later Nizo sound cameras like the Nizo 40XX and 60XX-models DESPITE Nizo writing in their manuals that only their rechargeable battery packs can be used, especially with the Nizo 6056 and 6080.

Although the added difference from the six cells is 1.8V in total , the cameras feature a built-in tolerance area which compensates for such voltage variances.

Only the final series 2 of the Nizo 6056 and 6080 recognisable via the added UWL marking over the redesigned Schneider Macro-Variogon 1:1,4 / 7-80mm lens should better ONLY be powered with rechargeable 1.2V because quality control at Nizo was so bad at that time that many cameras from that batch were not checked whether they feature these voltage variance tolerances (or indeed if electronics, belt-drive or lens assembly were properly done) :( .

So yes, you can use the Nizo twin-screwed battery container filled with six regular AA batteries (1.5V) from your Nizo 481 on your Nizo 2056 sound. You can also fill the same container with rechargeable AA cells (1.2V) and use it as a rechargeable battery pack on the Nizo 2056 sound.

The housings are basically identical whether they are marked by Nizo as rechargeable battery pack or regular battery containers. You can fill either batteries or cells into them, it does not matter. Obviously, though, the battery containers cannot be recharged ;) .

[...]

Although the added difference from the six cells is 1.8V in total , the cameras feature a built-in tolerance area which compensates for such voltage variances.

[...]

Only the final series 2 of the Nizo 6056 and 6080 recognisable via the added UWL marking over the redesigned Schneider Macro-Variogon 1:1,4 / 7-80mm lens should better ONLY be powered with rechargeable 1.2V because quality control at Nizo was so bad at that time that many cameras from that batch were not checked whether they feature these voltage variance tolerances (or indeed if electronics, belt-drive or lens assembly were properly done) :( .

Only the later 'Accu-box' can be recharged. The earlier boxes-- though interchangeable-- lack the charger jack.

The problem with using alkalines in the later 6XXX series is not really the voltage. In fact, a fully charged nicad Accu-box will often read 8.5 volts or more, especially if the cells are getting older. The problem with alkalines is that they lack the current capacity for running sound cartridges, even more so for 200 foot loads. That's why they weren't recommended in the 6080 manual.

When Nizo folded in the early 80's, they were stuck with hundreds of bum and/or untested cameras. Most of them entered the market at some time, especially in the U.S. I think that's the origin of the bad-Nizo reputation. Later cameras had an unreliable provenance-- not necessarily bad manufacture.

Thanks for the enlightment Jim. I just bought a 6080 on EBay: my thech has it now for overhaull, replacing the belts among other things and

I was worried about the voltage. I have a spare acu-box that I can load either with 6x1.5 alcaline or 6x1.2 rechargeable. I tested it with used alcalines and it seemed fine. :)

• Premium Member
Thanks for the enlightment Jim. I just bought a 6080 on EBay: my thech has it now for overhaull, replacing the belts among other things and

I was worried about the voltage. I have a spare acu-box that I can load either with 6x1.5 alcaline or 6x1.2 rechargeable. I tested it with used alcalines and it seemed fine. :)

Is your tech known to other super-8 filmmakers with cameras in need of repair?

Is your tech known to other super-8 filmmakers with cameras in need of repair?

I have found M. Beaulieu of Loraine, Québec, Canada. He has been servicing still and movie cameras for 40 years.

He did a fabulous job on my Nizo Pro and restoring a 4008 ZMII right now plus the 6080.

Here is a link:

http://www.makisoft.net/universel-photo

The only thing is he takes the time, wich is fine if you are now in a hurry....