lighting like this photo

Guest Erik

this is kind of a lame question but I'm wondering, in a photo like this

http://www.anthropologie.com/shopping/s7catalog/s7main.jsp

where the illusion is of natural light coming in a window and leaving quite a bit of dark shadow, would this possibly be simply using incoming sunlight, or does this look like there was more, ie: white bounce, other lights, etc.

thanks

EH

Erik,

Well, I'm not nearly as qualified as a lot of the folks you'll find here, but I can venture a guess. I would say that they used the strong light from the window with a little bit of fill (probably bounced) from just off of camera right. That's my guess anyways.

The fill does not look like bounce to me, since its source is so off-axis from the window. I'd actually call it a key light.

A single medium-sized, heavily-diffused daylight-colored source placed at approximately the same height as the subject's torso to the right of the camera.

At first I thought it was a large diffusion frame, but the reflection in the eyes show just a tiny speckle.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Key light or bounced... What?s the difference? Although, when bouncing light you don't get much out of it so a keylight seems to be the idea, my best guess anyway.

Although they shone it from the sides, otherwise the wall behind the subject would be lit.

I was just saying that I would actually call it a key light, and not a fill light. Since the main light source seems to be that off-camera soft source that we're discussing (whether it's bounced, diffused, whatever), I'd call it key, as it is providing the most light onto the subject.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  I'd call it key, as it is providing the most light onto the subject.

Exactly, everything else is dark. Apart from that window but unless God's going to kindly move it out of the way for a while I don?t think that can be helped.