arri 2a-b-c modifications

kevin jackman

rob...when have you spoken to him? i left two messages and at least 5 emails and have heard nothing. its driving me crazy! is there a better time to catch him on the phone?

Hi Kevin,

it was a couple of months back...the number I used ( London ) 0208 8572431.

best

rob spence

• Premium Member
does anybody know who does 2 perf, claw and shutter conversions? i think ive got a 2a and want to make some changes...

Also pencil out the option of selling what you have and buying one that's already 2 perf. It may work out better that way.

-- J.S.

well im not happy that i didnt get the high speed conversion kit on ebay when i saw it, but then i dont know if it would have fit. im guessing the 2 and 2a look alike? im also wondering if i could retrofit a variable shutter. and then where do i get a sync motor..it all adds up!

• Premium Member
... im guessing the 2 and 2a look alike? im also wondering if i could retrofit a variable shutter. and then where do i get a sync motor..it all adds up!

They look alike, but there are design changes. Exactly what they changed at what model I don't know. It's hard to derive from cameras in the field, because a lot of things could be retrofitted. The B to C finder and door changes, though, couldn't be retrofitted.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
and then where do i get a sync motor

Sync motors are getting hard to come by for the 2A, 2B, and 2C cameras. Cinematography Electronics still services their sync motors, but hasn't made one in six years because the parts for the motor inside the unit have become so expensive that they would have to sell the whole unit for over $10,000.

And Clive Tobin no longer makes his crystal sync motor for the camera either. And they rarely show up for sale, even on eBay.

You can, on rare occasion, find a Thoma crystal motor, Visual Products had one a year or so ago. But that's about it. A real shame.

-Tim