Citizen Kane

Mildred Pierce

The Big Sleep

Notorious

Forbidden Past

Angel Face

Suddenly

On the Waterfront

I wish some of these would reappear on DVD with bonus features. wonderful stuff.

Ditto on "T Men" and "The Big Combo" or anything in this genre shot by John Alton.

Let me add, for a really weird "color noir" from the fifties try "Slightly Scarlet".

"He Ran All The Way" directed by the late John Berry. This one's relatively unknown, and not much of a story IMO - BUT it's a rare foray into the noir genre by James Wong Howe, and his work is rather stunning, very expressionistic planes oflight and tonality - I was priviledged to see a great 35mm print of this. And while we're on the subject and, speaking of James Wong Howe, give the Raoul Walsh "noir western" "Pursued" a look. THE darkest western I've ever seen..... You'll want to be lighting with those Tilley Lamps after you see this :D

-Sam

Chinatown of course (arguably) and The Third Man too (again, arguable in content but definitely in form).

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is also a great one (despite obviously being a spoof) and is probably Michael Chapman's other finest moment next to Taxi Driver.

I was always partial to "Gun Crazy" (aka "Deadly Is the Female") shot by Russell Harlan.

BTW, there is a noir film shot in the period where I believe there is a gunshot and a couple of G-men go running into a dark alley in pursuit of the gunman. It looks like the shot starts on sticks then suddenly the camera takes off in handheld pursuit of the characters. It's totally unexpected in a movie made at that time. What film was that? I haven't seen it in a while.

Thanks, David. It's not a well known film, is it.

"Gun Crazy" is a great American film by any standard.

I'll second "Force of Evil" - I went to a local showing of "On The Waterfront" 2 weeks ago & kept thinking how MUCH tighter "Force Of Evil" is.

Wow what's that sound I just heard ? Could it be Polonsky and Kazan cursing each other in their graves ?? :blink:

-Sam