my reel

Hey Mike,

Some nice work on your reel, but I felt it just took that bit too long to load.

You know when your downloading something and you wait and wait and then you just get bored and cancel it, your reel nearly comes into that catagory! So you might want to change the way you stream it....

but I really liked your montage and the only comment I would make is that I would like to see a bit more variety, because from your cv I see that you have shot commercials, music vids and docos so why not show us some of that??? Just a thought......

Nick

Thanks for the comments, Nick. I've been told by a handful of people that the reel takes a while to load, but I'm not sure that I want to go smaller/more compressed with it. It's tough because having high quality images is the entire point of the site, but it doesn't matter much if nobody watches it.

As far as the content, it's primarily a narrative reel though I do have a few commercial images snuck in there. Both the B&W footage at the beginning and the woman in the red dress are from spec spots that I did, I'm hoping that they still work in the context of the narrative pieces.

• 1 month later...

hey mike,

i'm no expert by any means, but i enjoyed these shots.

(not to mention the girl in the red dress made my jaw hit the floor!)

keep up the good work

edit - it only took about a minute, maybe two minutes to load on my computer.

Edited by tyler taylor

hey mike,

i'm no expert by any means, but i enjoyed these shots.

(not to mention the girl in the red dress made my jaw hit the floor!)

keep up the good work

edit - it only took about a minute, maybe two minutes to load on my computer.

Hey Mike Great reel. I really liked the black and white.

BTW it started right off the bat for me no loading.

• Premium Member

Nice stuff Mike. It loaded pretty much instantly for me. I do have a fast connection, but I can't see it taking 5 minutes to load....maybe on dialup?

Love the music. The cuts are sometimes a bit quick, which kind of defeats the point of the reel, but otherwise I thought it looked very nice.

• Premium Member

Hi Mike,

love your work. Really nice stuff, it opened quick for me.

One thing though: make the font you used on your website match the one used in the reel and pdf. Just use pictures for the links instead of text. But that's a typographical tidbit... :D

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear that it's loading quickly for some people, also good to hear that people like it.

To answer Alessandro's question, I've been shooting for almost five years now, not counting the projects that I did in undergrad. The reel is mostly made up of material from the last two years, the last section of it is from a 35mm feature that I shot about three years ago. In terms of time, for me it was about getting to a point where my work was better, rather than about having shot a certain number of projects. There's plenty of stuff that didn't make the cut for one reason or another, lack of basic production design being a major one of those. Nobody wants to see an empty white-walled apartment, no matter how nicely you light it.

David, the fonts should match, maybe your browser doesn't support the font I chose for the page?

• Premium Member
David, the fonts should match, maybe your browser doesn't support the font I chose for the page?

Yes, but the trouble is that I'd need to have that exact same font installed on my machine. And par any standard fonts like Arial you can be quite sure that many people won't have the font of your choice installed. So it's better to use graphics instead of text when using special fonts... HTH

Cheers, Dave

Hey Dave, there's a handful of different formats on my reel, as follows if you can figure out where the transitions from one project to the next are: 1) 35mm Plus-X, 2) Panavised F900, 3) F-900R with Digiprimes, 4) HVX-200, 5) 35mm 5201, 6) Super 16 mostly 8673, and 7) 35mm 8573.

The night exteriors at the end were from the 35mm feature I shot a few years ago, Fuji stocks with Superspeeds. The stuff at the warehouse was lit with 5K through a 4'x4' of diffusion on the building and a 10K raking the parking lot in front of it. The scenes in the car were shot mostly from car mounts with available light at night, T1.3 on 8573. For the two shot through the driver's side window, I bounced a flashlight into a piece of white paper below the dashboard (a little too hot maybe), but the stuff from the backseat was all available light. Glad you liked it, I thought it turned out to be some of the strongest stuff in the film.