promotional trailers

Hello,

These are 2 promotional trailers made to help lure potential investors for my first feature film that I wrote the screenplay to and hope to direct within the year. These are just temporary actors and such, just something to give investors and other interested parties an idea of what the film will look like and what my producer and I are capable of with zero dollars.

I have very little cinematography experience but I shot these as well as directing, acting, producing, editing, wardrobe, etc... exhausting stuff. I'll probably need to fix a few things with the audio and record a new voice over but these are mostly finished. Please let me know what you think.

"art house version"

"hollywood version"

thanks,

E.P. Davee

Guest Robert G Andrews

Did you do this late at night? :ph34r: ...because its very 'dark' if you know what I mean... :unsure:

For me; -

- The voice-over should have been an older-sounding male.

- The character rolling around a lot was OTT. Too much rolling around :lol:

- the glint of a knife would have been better than a gun that didn't even fire

- Trailer too long

- All about him, which comes across as egocentric.

- There wasn't a flow to this trailer, couldn't see a progression, a build-up...

- Some images not powerful enough

Overall, I'd stick to 30 seconds at most and use only the creme de la creme... ;)

etc

Thank you for your input. I've already recorded a new voice over with an older sounding voice since I posted this. I also agree with some of your comments and I'm already cutting out some of the same stuff you mentioned. I'm OK with the glimpse of the gun that does not fire. I like it that way. I also like the darkness. I'm not sure what you mean regarding the egocentric thing of the character.

these versions were works in progress. Personally, the first one is more my style. the second one was an attempt to make a more normal hollywoodesque trailer, not my forte. but you are right. i'm cutting the it way down.

take care,

ted

Did you do this late at night? :ph34r: ...because its very 'dark' if you know what I mean... :unsure:

For me; -

- Trailer too long

- There wasn't a flow to this trailer, couldn't see a progression, a build-up...

Overall, I'd stick to 30 seconds at most and use only the creme de la creme... ;)

etc

Edited by Edward P. Davee

Thought it was pretty good. the darkness is very "art house" the only thing personally I didn't like is the length even hollywood keeps their trailers pretty short. It is supposed to make the viewer sit back and say "man I want to see more of that." Not "Ugh when will this be over." You know what I mean.

all the best

Thank you. I think you are right. I'm going to cut it down.

take care,

ted

Thought it was pretty good. the darkness is very "art house" the only thing personally I didn't like is the length even hollywood keeps their trailers pretty short. It is supposed to make the viewer sit back and say "man I want to see more of that." Not "Ugh when will this be over." You know what I mean.

all the best

Edited by Edward P. Davee

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Edward,

Some of your shots are amazing. Can I ask what you are shooting on and where you shot? Great aesthetic feel to some of those scenes.

Rod

Wow... i thought most of that was absolutely beautiful! and i actually don't think it's too long because it's not a trailer is it?... it's just a video that shows a little about the project and if i was an investor i would want to see as much as i could before i gave my money away.

Only thing i can put my finger on is the fact that i didn't get any idea of what the story was about... i know nothing about the movie after watching this.

Still looks promissing to me, atleast cinematography wise! By the way... is this finished picture gonna be black and white?

Also! can you tell us a little about the story? not reveal to much of course, but a little teaser? :D

hey, thank you very much. I have an Eclair ACL2 converted to super16 with Zeiss lenses, one 12mm mk1, and 50mm and 85mm, f1.4 contax still lenses mounted with a c-mount adaptor. for the indoor shots I used a 25mm switar. the lighting was all done with a very basic lowell light kit with the help of some smoke.

Here is a more current version of the trailer with the voice over: newer, shorter version

take care,

Ted

Edward,

Some of your shots are amazing. Can I ask what you are shooting on and where you shot? Great aesthetic feel to some of those scenes.

Rod

thanks! you are right, it's not really a trailer. I guess it's meant to accompany the script and resemble a trailer. I realize that it doesn't tell much about the story and I'm OK with that. I just want to give folks an idea of the look and feel that I'm after.

The story is about the events surrounding a fanatic religious cult at the turn of the century. It's centers around the destruction of a particular family.

I shot this footage on 7201 color neg with the intention of going B&W with it and I've always imagined this in B&W but I got to admit, the color looked really nice and I was seduced by it. I went back and forth on it a bit and decided to stick with my guns. I'm convinced B&W is the right decision for this project and I'm happy with it despite the fact that it will likely be a harder sell.

Here's a newer version of the cut that we jokingly refer to as the "Hollywood version"

Wow... i thought most of that was absolutely beautiful! and i actually don't think it's too long because it's not a trailer is it?... it's just a video that shows a little about the project and if i was an investor i would want to see as much as i could before i gave my money away.

Only thing i can put my finger on is the fact that i didn't get any idea of what the story was about... i know nothing about the movie after watching this.

Still looks promissing to me, atleast cinematography wise! By the way... is this finished picture gonna be black and white?

Also! can you tell us a little about the story? not reveal to much of course, but a little teaser? :D

newer version

For me; -

- Trailer too long

etc

newer version

For me; -

- Trailer too long

etc