HVX with a Mini35

Benjamin Smith

Personally I would take a hard look at the Letus Extreme adapter. not sure if you are renting or buying, but the Extreme only loses 1/2 stop, flips the image for you, and delivers razor sharp images with nice bokeh. Plus it costs $1500.

As far as lenses go, I prefer Nikons. I have a set of 6 primes and am happy with them. I've heard that Zeiss lenses are pretty nice, but the cost to performance ratio is just not there for me. I'd stay away from some of the no name lenses like Kogaku and a few others.

Remember to get the fastest lenses you can as these adapters tend to lose a lot of light.

Personally I would take a hard look at the Letus Extreme adapter. not sure if you are renting or buying, but the Extreme only loses 1/2 stop, flips the image for you, and delivers razor sharp images with nice bokeh. Plus it costs $1500.

As far as lenses go, I prefer Nikons. I have a set of 6 primes and am happy with them. I've heard that Zeiss lenses are pretty nice, but the cost to performance ratio is just not there for me. I'd stay away from some of the no name lenses like Kogaku and a few others.

Remember to get the fastest lenses you can as these adapters tend to lose a lot of light.

Thanks a lot I will look into the letus it is cheaper and that is always a plus on my list. I haven't used Nikons before but hear they are realy great. Thanks for the advice. It is what i was looking for.

• Premium Member
I agree with Adamo, I bought the very first letus prototype, and it is pretty cool! I use a Nikon E-series 50mm lens. You can get them on ebay for like $10 - $20ish. They look killer!

- Greg

$10-$20? Wow. How about other lenses though? What eles do you have/use and how much for them?

i use canon FD with my letus35fe (24/f2 50/f1.4 85/f2 135/f2)

they cost between 50-200$ on eBay

look great

you can see it on myspace.com/ramdp

all the music video shoot with it

i am very very happy

i also read article at dvxuser.com compere the letus35fe with the p+s mini 35

results are amazing

looking forward to buy the extreme even better tool

• 2 months later...

For my personal.....It can work well with 35 format lenses such as Zeiss MKI, II, UP / Cooke S4 / Angenieux HR 25-250 / 24-290mm also with Century Canon S2000......but please you do not bring the 16mm format to work with becasue the back element of lenses will hit with Spinning Mirror Guuard...

dullataj@hotmail.com

Yoi Camera Corner Thailand

I've only used the mini35 with Ziess and Cooke lenses and the results have been very impressive. The higher end lens packages will make a difference...if you can rent them conveniently in your area; after all, isn't that why you're putting a mini35 on there in the first place for the quality of prime lenses? Maybe you can just get few inexpensive lenses to have around in your kit for day to day and then rent the higher-end lenses as needed?

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

Las Vegas, NV

Maybe you can just get few inexpensive lenses to have around in your kit for day to day and then rent the higher-end lenses as needed?

Yeah thats what I plan on doing. I had a chat with greg johnson (thanks again) I plan on buying a set of nikon primes and keeping them for the day to day. Up in austin (about 20 min north of me) I can rent a set of zeiss primes for not to much I want to try them out. The bad thing is I am doing my first semi-decent budget doco which calls for purchasing lenses due to location and sadly purchasing nice zeiss' is over budget plus they are hell to find for purchase. So it looks like the doc will be done on the nikons. Not so bad.

Does anyone know if I can buy some cooke lenses if so how much? Also what is the comparison of cooke vs. zeiss?

Cheers