Is the song going to be any good? What crap cliché will the talent free gits want to copy? Music vids can be a lot of fun but sometimes they really suck. They tend to be a lot of hard work. Band members usually have egos, opinions and very little acting ability. A good song and a good premise and a product to be proud of can make it all worthwhile.

• Premium Member

Be prepared to work very quickly, and compromise. You will end up giving your gaffer more freedom than you may be accustomed to, as I like to send him pre rigging the next setup. I have found Kinos are your friend on these things, as they look real nice, and are quick.

Compromise . . . remembers that insert you are tweaking will only be on screen for 1 second. It is very hard (at least for me) to stop spending tweak time on every setup, but speed is critical (at least on the video's I have done . . . 2 days to shoot 3 days of material).

For me the genre is bitter sweet. I like it at times, when it's a fun concept and a cool band, but I also hate the compromises involved.

Kevin Zanit

Here is my $0.02c.

Have you seen the band play at a venue in front of people? go film them. go get them in front of the lens so they can see themselfs and see what they are going to look like before you do principal photography.

I have shot two bands, the first band we went to see then in person at a concert venue and brought two cameras and capture them while playing. When I played back the tapes they saw themselfs and most of them were surprised that every little nuance is shown through the lens. Specially the sweat ! and the other lead singer made sure to go on a diet to loose at least 20 pounds before shooting began on the video. He saw how much heavy he looks in front of the lens.

Make them see how they look like because they will be expecting you to make them look like AeroSmith if you don't.

Also, is this a known band ? if you say their name, do people stop on their tracks and congratulate you or scratch their head and ask you to repeat the band name again? If it is the latter, think very carefully what type of video you want to give them. A lot of bands think that it is cool to have a super duper concept video, but the reality is, concept videos work for established bands or singers whose names and songs (tunes) are recognized without you knowing who is playing. IE: Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz, Stone Temple Pilots etc...

And last, prepare, prepare, prepare... For the first music video I worked on, I worked so close with the director that at the end of two weeks of prep time, we were finishing each others shot sequence's. For a three and a half minute song, we filmed for 12 hours, luckily for me and my G&E crew which was overly prepared not a single hitch.

Good luck,

C.-

They're an interesting kind of work. I've only done a few really low budget ones, but they were for good groups. I will also say to expect compromise and work as fast as you absolutely can. When you're shooting one thing, have the next shot being set up by your crew.

But have fun. Use it as an opportunity to experiment and try things that might be to 'risky' in other circumstances. One video I did such a thing...I was told to make it look like a cliche 80's video, not good looking. Not a good thing for the DP to hear but I took it as a challenge and figured out how I could degrade the image in camera (no post $$) and with lighting. The result was pretty good and it actually got nominated for an MVPA award this year in the Under $25,000 category (it was $8k).

You can actually watch it here. Click on 'The Postal Service'.

But listen to the music over and over and, most importantly, collaborate with the director/s to come up with something unique. That will make for a great video.

• Premium Member
what is the first thing that you think about when you know that you´ll be shooting a music video?

Is the concept something that will challenge me creatively? Will I be able to try new things, to be bold and experiment? What's my rate? Is my crew taken care of and being paid according to what we discussed. Who's the director? How prepared is the director? Is he serious, having taken the time in pre-pro to involve me and the other key personnel in scouting locations, discussing the concept, lighting and set design? Does she have a shot list and/or storyboards? Better still can he express clearly what it is he wants? Or is he just a canvas chair dilettante? Are the expectations of the shoot realistic and within the scope of the budget, equipment and the experience of the crew? Are there any safety issues?

what precautions to take?

1) Charge your cell phone the night before and bring a car battery charger.

2) Always double check directions to the set via mapquest.

3) Make a copy or get a second copy of the call sheet.

4) Arrive on set well BEFORE your call time.

5) Upon arriving on set, go immediately to craft services and say hello. Subtly look to see if the have a large supply of "Red Bull" . Take a minute to compliment the head of craft services and express your righteous indignation about how little attention the role of craft services receives on MTV "Making the Video" segments. Your attempt at simpatico will insure that the camera department will be served first when they bring around the hot finger snacks later that night. :D

6) Wear comfortable shoes.

7) Altoids, Altoids, Altoids

8) When things go awry, and they always will, comfort yourself by recalling all the directors and DPs who started out filming music videos before moving on to commercials and features.

9) Treat everyone with respect. The PA/intern of today is the producer/director of tomorrow.

10) If you film in areas like the downtown skid row area of Los Angeles make sure production provides you with a hard hat, and that the grip department has set up flags to protect the camera. The residents have been known to throw bottles of urine, fecal matter and other objects from the top floors of buildings down on unsuspecting filmmakers who they feel have invaded their domain.

• Premium Member

Eric you do great work. I saw that video screened at the MVWire presentation of MVPA nominated videos. Congrats. On the opposite end of the spectrum here's a link to a low budget, one day music video I directed and DP'd for Esoterica.

http://www.esoterica1.com/newsite/newsite3.htm (click on media)

The band was great to work with, especially since this was their first video and we had so little time (a little under 8 hours) to shoot and despite my misgivings on my work (for which there is definitely room for improvement) I did well enough for them to ask me to direct their second video.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> 8) When things go awry, and they always will, comfort yourself by recalling all

> the directors and DPs who started out filming music videos before moving on to

> commercials and features.

And then again there are those of us for whom actually getting paid to shoot music promos represents the unattainable heights of idealism.

Phil

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

You know what to do, meet the band. Get to know them. Understand what they are about and what they want, what impression they want.

One thing about music videos is that there are loads of takes where the band is going to have to perform the song over and over again. So, try not to bother the band as much as possible. Their probably going to have enough work to do as it is, and you want them to be happy so they?ll perform well.

Ah. One thing that is really important, other than being overly prepared, is to

REHEARSE ! REHEARSE ! REHEARSE ! I can't tell you how much it saved us in production time and money when we had the band rehearse one day prior to principal photography. I recall getting all the lights setup, light readings, test our smog machine, our dolly, etc....all on a Friday, while having the band rehearse as well, so that first thing Saturday, nothing but shooting the video.

C.-

here is the link to the music video am referring

The video

Feedback is always welcomed. I shot with two Xl-1, post processed in After Effects with Magic Bullet.

C.

Thanks everybody who posted.

Thanks Wendell_Greene for all the general advice :)

no, I´m not filming in Los Angeles. It would be nice too but for now I have the beautiful beaches of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I invite you all to come here and see them! :D

Thanks

Thanks Carlos, Wendell. We had a great time with that one. Long day too. They were building the set when we showed up and had to move extra fast to complete it in one day since all the video projection was done live.

I had wanted to go see it at the Kodak MVPA preview but had a screening that night. The awards show was great though. All the biggies were there...Fincher, Jonze, Gondry, Romanek, and LaChappelle.

Oh, and Phil...

I've never been paid for a video. Come to think of it I've probably LOST money considering all the driving fro meetings and time taken away from other things.

I'm suprised nobody has brought this up...

If you are doing a gangsta video (or hired by an unknown producer), get paid in advance and make sure the check CLEARS before you shoot!!!

Jason

That has some truth to it. I was talking to an insurance company about a music vid once and that was the first thing they asked. "Is this a rap video? I can't insure you for a rap video." They said the reason was that they often have real gangsta's show up to be extras. It all seemed a bit racist to me.

Alex,

From my experience, while you shoot the video, you playback the music and the band sings with it. (Lip sings to it). If you have a drummer, you usually use big speakers to overcome the drumming sound, obviously, depends on the song, depends on how loud you want ot play the music. This is what is used to sync the music and to do editing.

C.

If you have a drummer, you usually use big peakers to overcome the drumming sound

Watching a making-of music video show, the drummer had a "special" kit with fake cymbals that looked genuine, but when hit, sounded like muted cowbells. Also, I believe the snare was disengaged, and the toms were filled.

All of this to help lower the levels of the drums, which would certainly be necessary, as the drummer (if unable to hear playback) may drift sync with the actual track and throw off the entire band.

Alvin

What we did is, for the cymbals, we taped wads of paper towels to the bottom part of the cymbals. For the snares, they too were disengaged, and the tom filled with rags. But still, on a 30*30 set, it was loud ! Don't forget we had about 100 extras as well. But kudo's to brining it up. I kinda figured that the drummer would figure that one out. Thanks !

Oh and by the way, when you see the video, you can, for a split second, see the wads of paper towels taped to the bottom part of the cymbals. But it is too fast for a normal eye, meaning if you don't know it was coming up, you will not think of it or even see it.

Cheers,

C.-

• Premium Member

You can also use gaffer tape underneath the cymbals to deaden the sound.

If you shoot a music video with say a video camera like the DVX-100, XL-1/ 2, etc., you can just use a cd for playback.

Most record labels will give you an audio package consisting of a mono playback DAT with 24fps (or 48, 60, 96 fps if you're going to overcrank the camera for slow motion sync shots - take a look at the classic video for "Wrapped Around My Finger" by The Police where DP Daniel Pearl pioneered this technique) with (ndf) timecode which drives your smart slate, and a stereo DAT @ 29.97 with ndf timecode for your telecine transfer.

It all seemed a bit racist to me.

Higher car insurance for males sounds sexist to me... but that's the reality of statistics. ANY music video has the potential to blow in and out of town... cover your bases.

IMPORTANT: know the local noise ordinance. They can and will shut you down if you break a noise law.

Also, was on a music video shoot that got the boot for not having a permit to shoot on the beach in Miami. Never got paid... guess what genre?

Jason