ND mmm

Hi just curios about it.

I am shooting with 5279 in exterior work for a film and I want to shoto at 4.0 on the stop and will be using heavy ND which I have done before and NP but was testing a couple things and in a couple i got some color shift. Not so much on a single ND85-1.8 btu combining two NDs. I u nderstand this as adding characteristics of the filters but wanted to ask peoples experince in this.

Thanks!

M

I dont know if you were doing it but if you sandwich glass or resin filters together closely (matte box type filters, not screw ins) you'll get interference patterns about the wavelength or so of the distance between them - I cant remember the physics/math exactly but its the same thing as a thin film of oil on water. Depending on the separation and consistency of the separation (i.e. how flat and clean your filters are) you can get some strong color cast, I've seen it turn up in print in medium format stills I have done ... I learned there is a good reason not to stack them directly and keep a distance apart of more than 1mm or so.

Kinda like this:

oilfilm.gif

But the 'oil' is the gap of air between the two filters - same phenomenon, different set up ...

Edited by Nick Mulder

• Premium Member
I dont know if you were doing it but if you sandwich glass or resin filters together closely (matte box type filters, not screw ins) you'll get interference patterns about the wavelength...

A good demonstration of this sort of interference is "Newton's Rings". In this case it's a spherical glass surface (like a lens) touching a flat glass surface, therefore you get concentric circular bright and dark rings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_rings