Intervalometers

Janne Pulkkila

I have designed two intervalometers that I'm planning to manufacture for sale. What do you think of them? Can you imagine yourself buying one?

Model 1

interv1.jpg

xt1size02.jpg

- Interval time: can be set between 1 sec and 99 h 59 min 59 sec.

- Shoots 1 to 4 frames at a time, or continuous run/time exposure that can be set between 1 sec and 9 min 59 sec.

- Selectable output pulse duration: 13, 100, 250 or 500 milliseconds.

- Can be used as a timer. For example, you can start a video camera after a certain period of time.

- Extremely low current consumption (35 µA). An internal high capacity capacitor supplies current while changing the batteries without interrupting shooting.

- Wide operating temperature range: -20...+70 Celsius.

- Ruggedized construction.

- A warning ligh flashes 30 seconds before the interval time ends (before shooting).

- Can be used with many different cameras. For example: Aaton 16 & 35 models, Ikonoskop A-Cam, Canon EOS cameras, Nikon cameras with an IR-remote control function, video cameras with a Control-L/LANC socket, Panasonic video cameras with a remote control socket.

- About 350-400 EUR.

Model 2

interv2.jpg

- Interval time: between 1 sec and 99 h 59 min 59 sec.

- Selectable output pulse duration: 13, 100, 300, or 900 milliseconds.

- Three display modes: programmed interval time / time remaining to the next shooting / frame counter.

- Works with most Canon EOS models and with many MP cameras. Built-in infrared remote transmitter for Nikon still cameras.

- About 150-200 EUR.

What cameras will they be available for specifically? They seem to have a pretty practical design to them. Have you patented them?

I haven't patented them because they are completely based on processors and softwares. Physically, they are just dumb interface boxes. Everything is in the software (which is copyright protected). If you want to make small changes on some features, like signal timing, a suitable software update may be arranged. The program memory cannot be read or reprogrammed once it's programmed, but the chip can be changed. It's mounted on a socket, so no soldering is needed.

They can be used with any camera that can be triggered to shoot single frames in a similar way as Aatons (LTR, LTR 54, XTR, XTRprod...). I can build a cable for any camera you want as long as I can find out pinouts, and connectors are available.

Cables available at the moment:

Aaton:

- Lemo 2

- Lemo 6

- Lemo 8

- Amphenol 9

- Bolex H16 EL

- 2.5 mm, Super-8

- Ikonoskop A-Cam SP-16

- 2.5 mm, Panasonic video camera

- Control-L/LANC (not for model 2)

- 2.5 mm, Canon EOS

- Infrared transmitter for Nikon still cameras (equivalent to Nikon ML-L1 and ML-L3 remote controllers).

If you go ahead with manufacturing these, when do you think they would be available?

Hopefully, before the end of this year.

Would there be any modification to MP cameras for this to work?

No, if the camera can shoot single frames (Aaton, for example).

also will they work on a Canon Eos 20D?

Yes, I'm working on the cable right now.