splash of light in post.

Benjamin Smith

I am sure most of you saw the thread for the Similo project done by Macgregor. This is one of the stills from the thread.

image2qp4.jpg

I do not know if the splash of light across the screen is done on sight with a light or not. My question is how to do this in post on FCP or Motion and make it look nice.

Thanks

I'm no effects expert, so this is my right-off-the-top-of-my-head, low-tech idea; there are probably better ways:

- create a red shape (or import an animation of a shape going across the screen),

- blur its edges,

- bring the opacity way down, and experiment with different blend modes until it looks right... you might also need to use a garbage matte if you there's an area where you don't want it to show (like if you want it to go across a window or a mirror).

if it wasn't an animation you'll need to use motion to make it go across the screen... though I think the in-final cut motion options should be enough.

tell me if it's what you had in mind and if it worked

Edited by Noam Gagliardi Rabinovich

• Premium Member
- create a red shape (or import an animation of a shape going across the screen),

- blur its edges,

- bring the opacity way down, and experiment with different blend modes until it looks right...

I think that's exactly what McGregor described he did in a thread somewhere...