Interior Car Mount. Shooting into back seat from the front.

Michael Totten

I couldn't find any other threads about this particular kind of set up.

Basically the whole scene will take place in the back seat of a car.

No camera movement.

So the camera needs to be mounted in the front center part of the car somehow (pointed straight back and center). preferably as close the the front (windshield) as possible so that there will be more room lens wise.

The camera operator will be seated in the front passenger seat and then there will be a driver in the drivers seat (I know this takes up needed room) ?

Any ideas?

Suction cups, c-stand arms and cheeseplate?

I couldn't find any other threads about this particular kind of set up.

Basically the whole scene will take place in the back seat of a car.

No camera movement.

So the camera needs to be mounted in the front center part of the car somehow (pointed straight back and center). preferably as close the the front (windshield) as possible so that there will be more room lens wise.

The camera operator will be seated in the front passenger seat and then there will be a driver in the drivers seat (I know this takes up needed room) ?

Any ideas?

Suction cups, c-stand arms and cheeseplate?

I did this exact setup two weeks ago using a DVX-100. I used a suction cup on the windshield with a short arm to the cheese plate. I used a second suction cup with a longer arm coming in at an angle as a second point. Then I took another arm with a maffer clamp down to the frame of the seat. It was very solid and we got everyhting we needed.

I might have some photos of the setup. If I find them, I will post them here.

Good Luck

Brian

I did this exact setup two weeks ago using a DVX-100. I used a suction cup on the windshield with a short arm to the cheese plate. I used a second suction cup with a longer arm coming in at an angle as a second point. Then I took another arm with a maffer clamp down to the frame of the seat. It was very solid and we got everyhting we needed.

I might have some photos of the setup. If I find them, I will post them here.

Good Luck

Brian

Nice. Where did you guys rent (or buy) the gear for the mount? I was thinking of buying from filmtools in LA.

We did shots like this by taking out the front passenger's seat and using a short leg tripod & head. This was lashed down onto the seat mounts in the floor, there wasn't any room for an operator, so it camera was just locked off after the framing was checked before each take.

You don't say which camera you're using, this will affect where you can mount a camera because of the space limitations .

We did shots like this by taking out the front passenger's seat and using a short leg tripod & head. This was lashed down onto the seat mounts in the floor, there wasn't any room for an operator, so it camera was just locked off after the framing was checked before each take.

You don't say which camera you're using, this will affect where you can mount a camera because of the space limitations .

We're using the red camera, which is fairly compact.

We're using the red camera, which is fairly compact.

Although the RED is bigger and heavier than the DVX 100.

First I'd check out some camera rental companies to see if they've got some kit that could so the job. You could make a rig using suction cups and some speed rail to brace the rig to parts of the car interior.

Years ago we made a rig for some front 3/4 shots of a driver that involved mounting an Arri 16BL on a homemade timber mount on the car dashboard. It was a robust rig, but one not to be used in a new car belonging to a proud owner - although it actually didn't do any damage, the image might be too much.

Nice. Where did you guys rent (or buy) the gear for the mount? I was thinking of buying from filmtools in LA.

We bought the gear from Filmtools. It was a complete kit with 3 suction cups, a cheese plate, three or four short arms and grip heads. I have used this rig on everything from snow plows to motorcycles.