Pinhole projection?

Liam Dale

Hey all,

I'm familiar with pinhole photography, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to use a pinhole for projection on a small scale. I imagine you'd have to carefully control the distances involved to keep the image somewhat in focus, but I don't even know if the idea is practical in the slightest. Any ideas?

Liam

• Premium Member
Hey all,

I'm familiar with pinhole photography, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to use a pinhole for projection on a small scale. I imagine you'd have to carefully control the distances involved to keep the image somewhat in focus, but I don't even know if the idea is practical in the slightest. Any ideas?

Liam

OK, I haven't gathered the stuff and tried this but this is theoretically how it works:

The slide's distance from the pinhole will not affect it's sharpness but it will affect it's magnification given that the distance from pinhole to screen stays constant. Get the slide too close to the pinhole and it would have a lot of falloff toward the edges.

Larger pinhole=brighter and softer. Smaller pinhole=sharper and dimmer.

The problem you would have would be quantity of light. A pinhole is such an inefficient focusing device that you would need huge (and probably dangerous to the slides) amounts of light.

Edited by Chris Keth