Lady in the Water

Here is my question/opinion. I know there was a ton of debate when M. Night released his bedtime story film "Lady in the Water." It seems everywhere I go I get strange looks when I say I liked the film. Am I missing something here. I can only find a few people who actually share my liking of it.

What did you think of it and why?

I have to say it is one of my favs I like M. Night and his work. Interested to hear your opinion.

• Premium Member

I liked the visual mood and the first half of the movie, and Paul Giamatti, but it was one of those stories that asked you to swallow more and more bizarre developments, and once that giant eagle creature swooped in, I had enough -- I thought it had gotten rather silly.

And I'm someone who likes fantasy films, but I don't think the director managed to set this one up in a way for the audience to buy the more extreme elements.

I liked the visual mood and the first half of the movie, and Paul Giamatti, but it was one of those stories that asked you to swallow more and more bizarre developments, and once that giant eagle creature swooped in, I had enough -- I thought it had gotten rather silly.

And I'm someone who likes fantasy films, but I don't think the director managed to set this one up in a way for the audience to buy the more extreme elements.

I can agree with that. The promotion of the film (trailers etc..) didn't realy prepare you for giant eagles and random ape men. I guess I do a lot more research on films before I see them and I figured he called it a Bedtime story and those get a little wierd. So I was ok with the bizzarreness.

Yeah, as the story progressed it just got too unbelievable...and far too complex to be a children's bedtime story.

Doyle's work was excellent as usual, as was Giamatti. And I really liked the idea of setting a fantasy film in an apartment complex. But it was pretty ballsy for Night to cast himself as the revolutionary writer, and the abrupt ending just left me sitting there saying "Well, I guess it's over."

• Premium Member
But it was pretty ballsy for Night to cast himself as the revolutionary writer,

...and the film critic was torn to shreds.

Trouble was, the real conflict was getting all the info out of that old lady. About half way through the movie, I just wished he would shake all the info out of her, so we could get on with the story (and I don't mean the lady named "story").

• Premium Member
...and the film critic was torn to shreds.

Trouble was, the real conflict was getting all the info out of that old lady. About half way through the movie, I just wished he would shake all the info out of her, so we could get on with the story (and I don't mean the lady named "story").

Ebert's review had me crying with laughter....

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EVIEWS/60720002