Kodak Vision 5274 still good to use?

JD Marlow

Hi,

I'm shooting a short film on 35mm upcoming this weekend and have two 1000' rolls of Kodak Vision 5274 (200T) in addition to the Vision 2 200T stock. This is the older discontinued stock from Kodak that they stopped selling over a year ago. It is a donation from Kodak for my shoot and I want to be able to use it. They told me it is approx. a year old but it has been stored in their own facilities during that time. In anyone's opinion, will this stock be OK to shoot with?

-JD

Umm, you're distrusting the manufacturer's assurances that the film is still good? Be thankful that you have heard Kodak guarantee something, anything.

But, sarcasm aside, yes, you'll be fine. Filmi generally has a 3-4 year lifespan (refrigerated) and is usually usable for a couple of years thereafter with slight overexposure to accomodate for base fog. Even film older than this is often still salvageable.

• Premium Member
Hi,

I'm shooting a short film on 35mm upcoming this weekend and have two 1000' rolls of Kodak Vision 5274 (200T) in addition to the Vision 2 200T stock. This is the older discontinued stock from Kodak that they stopped selling over a year ago. It is a donation from Kodak for my shoot and I want to be able to use it. They told me it is approx. a year old but it has been stored in their own facilities during that time. In anyone's opinion, will this stock be OK to shoot with?

-JD

Like Karl said. It should be fine. You may want to slightly overexpose it, by 1/3 to a half a stop.

jb

• Premium Member
I'm shooting a short film ............This is the older discontinued stock from Kodak that they stopped selling over a year ago. It is a donation from Kodak for my shoot and I want to be able to use it. They told me it is approx. a year old but it has been stored in their own facilities during that time. In anyone's opinion, will this stock be OK to shoot with?

-JD

Such a deal - how did you arrange the donation? And it should be good - Kodak probably stored it frozen and I wouldn't be surprised to learn their long term storage vaults protect against background radiation in some form. Get it snip tested by a lab and you'll know exactly how good it is.

• 3 months later...
Hi,

-JD

:rolleyes: B)

Hello,

You have noted that the vision 200T is a discontinued stock... But the kodak website says only the 16mm vision 200T is discontinued, they are still having 35mm vision 200T as a color negative film... Please say more this... Have they really discontinued the stock

Hi,

-JD

Wow Kodak like you! :)

I have a hard time just getting prices out of them and they have refused to sell me certain products!

I'm sure it will be fine. I don't believe Kodak would have lied about having stored it properly, and they wouldn't need to as they will have proper facilities. I'm convinced it will be fine.

love

Freya

Hello,

Just as a follow up, we shot this film in November using the 2000' of discontinued Vision 1 stock that Kodak donated to us. Not only did the film turn out great but the scene we shot with it is really beautiful. Here is a screen shot so you can see. Unfortunately this originated from a Beta SP tape format, so it's not the greatest quality. But you get the idea.

-JD

post-12235-1203740324.jpg