Varicam Shutter Speed / overcranking

Bryan Jacobson

Hi, quick question for Over and Undercranking with Varicam

with standard fujinon HD wide angle lens.

Just wondering what your favorite settings are to get the

cleanest effect in 60/48fps. I didn't understand the

shutterspeed table very well, just looking for a solid

garden variety setup if one exists.

I will be editing in FCP importing via FW using FRC.

Thanks for your time,

Bryan

• Premium Member

Unless you want a crisper motion, like for falling water droplets, etc., generally you'd mimic a film camera shooting slow-motion with a standard 180 degree shutter, so the shutter speed would be half the frame rate -- i.e. 1/120 for 60 fps, or 1/96 for 48 fps (or whatever is close to those shutter speeds.) Of course, you can select whatever shutter speed you want or need, as long as it is not longer than the frame rate. In other words, shutter "off" at 60P would be 1/60.

• Premium Member

When operating the camera in FILM mode the shutter positions are expressed in degrees, like a film camera's shutterangle. These shutter positions "track" with the frame rate changes, so a 180 shutter at 24fps delivers a 1/48 sec. exposure, and at 60fps delivers a 1/120 sec. exposure. You can assign various shutter angles to the different shutter positions. Make sure the shutter is ON.

"Normal" looking results are produced from using a 180 degree shutter. Personally I find a 180 shutter to look a little "blurry" and video-ish at higher frame rates, and prefer a 144 degree shutter at 48 & 60 fps. Others may feel differently. Anything larger than 180 starts to blur in a video-like way at any frame rate.

Keep in mind that 48fps is not an "HMI safe" frame rate, and you'll have to use the synchro-scan to dial in a shutterspeed of 1/120 sec. when shooting 60Hz. sources at that frame rate.