editing software for a newbie

brad wood

hey all i have done some editing before but not much just wanted to no what you brought when you started doing this type of stuff and how easy it was for you to edit your footage

thank brad

well, i started to learn editing linear (2/3 machine editing). that´s a pretty good way to learn editing imo, since you really need to think about what you are going to do BEFORE you start editing. logging and stuff like that is very essential i think.

after that i started editing on Avid Mediacomposer. i think that is still a very good software and you can start learning with the free edition, workflow is the same more or less.

if you have a mac, fcp will be your choice i guess...

• Premium Member
...........and you can start learning with the free edition, workflow is the same more or less.

Unfortunately Avid has discontinued Free DV. That's a real bummer, I have a client who runs the media department at small state college who was planning on starting an Avid course using Xpress Pro in the classroom and having his students use Free DV on personal laptops for their projects. He had the budget for a couple of Xpress Pro machines meeting Avid specifications but now he can't offer the course because he'll never get the money for a classroom full of Avid machines.