Head mount / POV for DVX100 - ideas?

Guest Owen Tooth

Guest Owen Tooth

Hi, folks.

Next month I've got a short planned where I want to head-mount a DVX100 - or at least, I want the camera to be entirely subjective in a large chunk of the video; I want it to move as I do and I want to see my hands and legs in the shot. Mounting it right on top of my head might look odd but I haven't tested it; to the side again might feel 'off'.

Has anyone tried using the DV100 as a helmet-cam before?

Any suggestions / alternate ideas?

Any way I can view the LCD screen as I shoot so I know the lens is pointing the right way?

All ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Owen Tooth.

Smalltime director / DP

Derby, UK

Have you considered any other options, aside from mounting a DVX on your head?

There are small camera heads that you could tun to a recorder in a backpack.

If using a DVX is the only option, how about mounting it on your chest, just under your chin. that gives it a central location. On your head it might feel a bit high, particularly if you get close to people of objects. I'd suggest that on the shoulder would give the most natural perspective, height wise, if you don't mind being slightly off-center.

However you do it, you'll probably want to mount it securely, so that it is pointing in the direction your body faces, without relying on the LCD, that might be distracting.

The big drawback with the DVX is its mass. It'll be quite unwieldy mounted on your head.

Have you considered any other options, aside from mounting a DVX on your head?

There are small camera heads that you could tun to a recorder in a backpack.

If using a DVX is the only option, how about mounting it on your chest, just under your chin. that gives it a central location. On your head it might feel a bit high, particularly if you get close to people of objects. I'd suggest that on the shoulder would give the most natural perspective, height wise, if you don't mind being slightly off-center.

However you do it, you'll probably want to mount it securely, so that it is pointing in the direction your body faces, without relying on the LCD, that might be distracting.

The big drawback with the DVX is its mass. It'll be quite unwieldy mounted on your head.

yeah, weighing in about 2 kilos with battery and cassette, you may not be able to lug a dvx for long, meandering, walk thru shots, apart from the possibility of injuring the neck! you may want to wear neck-braces though, and then mount the camera , take care ! rajkumar

Guest Owen Tooth

Yeah, I've been thinking about shoulder-mounting because of the odd height angle of a head-mount. I want to use the DVX because of the image quality over the lipstick cameras you can get. Perhaps the best option will be to rest it on the actor's shoulder and hand-hold it from behind them so their neck doesn't take the weight.

• 11 months later...