Admira 16A Electric

henry jameson

hi, i recently got hold of this strange camera. It seems immaculate, and quite interesting.

Problem is, i can't find any info about it. Still haven't tried it with film. The only things i can say for sure:

- Electric motor with variable speed from 8 to 32 fps. You set speed with a knob that has no 'stops' so i guess you can use different frame rates apart from those stamped on the knob

here's a pic:

admira_3.jpg

- Rotating lens turret with 2 c mount ?? lenses (20mm and 80mm)

admira_2.jpg

- uses 100' daylight spools

admira_4.jpg

- power is from pistol grip where inside there is a 8 AA battery holder (don't think this is original). A power cord goes from the grip to camera body

Now the questions:

- how can i find out what shutter angle / speed this camera has ?

- on the bottom right side, there's a 2 way switch with "N" and "25" marked. What can this be ?

- The viewfinder is very very small. It should be ok for 20mm or wider work, but framing correctly with 80mm is going to be very difficult. There is no way to guess focus as well. Can bolex octameters or similar be used to give me a better view ?

- I have also a Cinor zoom dog leg reflex lens that can be mounted, but it is very heavy AND if i screw the lenses on correctly, the viewfinder is not in the correct position: it is right above the camera, while it should be at a 45° angle... so i need to find a way to screw it 1/8 turn more to get those extra 45°.

- How do i check frame rate? I guess with these old electric powered cameras, speed was regulated with a variable resistor that changed the voltage sent to the motor, so correct power supply voltage is quite important ?

Any info/comments appreciated.

• Premium Member
hi, i recently got hold of this strange camera. It seems immaculate, and quite interesting.

Me-Optia is a major east block photo equipment maker. quite likly it is intened to be a east block answer to a filmo or maybe a Keystone, or something.

The english marking may indicate export intent. as does the feet and meters scale, as the home market was metric only.

The speed setting may be using a governor like wind up cameras, the fact that it has 50 and 25 ASA makes it probaly post WWII. UNforunately it seems to have a double perf sproket which will limit your film choice.

A nice collectable even if it does not pass the working well test.

The speed setting may be using a governor like wind up cameras, the fact that it has 50 and 25 ASA makes it probaly post WWII. UNforunately it seems to have a double perf sproket which will limit your film choice.

No, it is single perf sprocket, and based on meopta web site (the only place i found any info) it is from 1963-1968 period.

http://www.meopta.cz/index.php?id=144&lang=en

:

- Electric motor with variable speed from 8 to 32 fps. You set speed with a knob that has no 'stops' so i guess you

- on the bottom right side, there's a 2 way switch with "N" and "25" marked. What can this be ?

- The viewfinder is very very small. It should be ok for 20mm or wider work, but framing correctly with 80mm is going to be very difficult. There is no way to guess focus as well. Can bolex octameters or similar be used to give me a better view ?

Any info/comments appreciated.

I can send of russian edition of user manual and explain a some details.

The electrical motor have inertial, mechanical system of speed control.

The position of speed ring on outside of marks will have non standard speed.

The knob with marks " N" and "25" switch of " normal ( N )" shoot and shoot at single frame ( 1/25 sec ).

The viewfinder have outside front optical adapters for different prime lenses. A some optical adapters can have a two frame borders.

If you set of 80 mm lens, you need take of adapter with mark " 80" and set on front side of viewfinder.

I can send of russian edition of user manual and explain a some details.

The electrical motor have inertial, mechanical system of speed control.

The position of speed ring on outside of marks will have non standard speed.

The knob with marks " N" and "25" switch of " normal ( N )" shoot and shoot at single frame ( 1/25 sec ).

The viewfinder have outside front optical adapters for different prime lenses. A some optical adapters can have a two frame borders.

If you set of 80 mm lens, you need take of adapter with mark " 80" and set on front side of viewfinder.

thanks for the info, and yes please the manual can come handy.

I have the 2 adapters for viewfinder: the 20 and the 80 ( in the front pic you can see the 80mm in place) but they really are only a 'mask' to give you a basic idea of framing , thay don't really zoom in the viewfinder, that gives a very small view.

• 3 years later...
  • Premium Member

Hi,

I recently bought a Admira Electric Camera in a very good condition. I know this thread is old, but I want to test the camera and it would very useful if somebody has any experience or info about this camera and the lens it came with (Meopta Openar 20mm and Meopta Openar 80mm).

Meopta were a Czech company, one of the East Block's main photographics manufacturers, especially for enlargers and medium format cameras. In the movie world they mostly made projectors and 8mm cameras, but also the odd 16mm camera model. As someone else here posted, they were kind of an East Block version of the American camera maker Keystone, with products aimed firmly at the amateur market.

The company still exists, but now focuses on where the real money is: military optics.

I've only had a chance to assess their 8mm lenses - they're actually surprisingly good. Not up to Kern or Taylor Hobson quality, but certainly not rubbish.

The cameras are pretty average, though. The 16A might be fun to play around with, but it's certainly no good for any serious project. Being electric, you'll get longer takes than a wind-up, but you're still limited to 100 foot spools, and the mechanically governed speed won't be reliable. Old electric motors (especially in amateur cameras) are also more prone to failure than mechanical spring motors. And the viewfinder is shocking. It ran off (I believe) 6V rechargeable batteries in the handle - I'm not sure what replacements will fit.

Some manuals (in Czech) are available here:

http://www.meoptahistory.com/download/Admira-16-A1-Electric---CZ-pdf-3922.pdf

http://www.meoptahistory.com/download/Admira-16-A-Electric---CZ-pdf-2370.pdf

One of them has depth of field tables for the Openar 20mm.

For anyone interested, Meopta made the coolest range of 8mm movie cameras ever, the Adastra series, but they only reached prototype stage. Quite odd, as all their other designs were boring and boxy.

http://www.meoptahistory.com/?id=313

I bought it in Ebay with the previous Admira 16A model battery pack, which holds 6x1,5v batteries, not the original rechargable pistol grip. I assumed it was the original, but reading the manual I think I will use a custom one with less voltage to fit the 6-8v right voltage. Perhaps using a higher voltage for a long period can damage the motor?