Arri IIC 16V source?

Babar Khan

Hi guys,

I bought an Arri IIC recently. Unfortunately the belt that I got with it is an old Cine60 that appears to be a 12V not a 16V.

I have the Arri VS motor. Where can I get a 16V belt or battery for a reasonable price? There is a local shop that will make me a 16V block but they want to charge me $1300.00 for just the charger alone.

Please advise!

Babar

• Premium Member

If you want to do this yourself on the cheap, you can get sealed lead acid batteries online. Three 6V in series would give you 18V, you'd just be a little farther down on the rheostat for the same frame rate. For charging, you could parallel the three batteries, and use the 6V setting on an ordinary car battery charger. You can also find generic charger schematics and plans through google, and make a dedicated 18V charger.

-- J.S.

Thanks for the reply John! That sounds like a good possibility.

Wonder where some of the rental houses get their 16V belts from?

Hi Babar,

Check out http://www.batteryspace.com

They have 16.8V NiMH packs in 5Ah and 10Ah and universal smart chargers.

Very good prices.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

For charging, you could parallel the three batteries, and use the 6V setting on an ordinary car battery charger.

Not possible to connect 3 batteries at parellel for charging, because, the all batteries will have different

source impedance and will need different charging current.

3 pcs of batteries need charging separately or at series connection.

I delivery 12/18 v batteries for Konvas and Kinor cameras, this is batteries included 3 x 6 v cells and charger have two channels for 6+6 ( 12 v) and 6 cells.

18 v charger with microprocessor control not problem too.

• Premium Member
Not possible to connect 3 batteries at parellel for charging, because, the all batteries will have different

source impedance and will need different charging current.

I've done it and not had a problem, using sealed lead acid batteries. The only precaution is not to charge too fast (not too much current), which is not an issue with a typical AutoZone or NAPA type charger.

-- J.S.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I bought an Arri IIC recently. Unfortunately the belt that I got with it is an old Cine60 that appears to be a 12V not a 16V.

I have the Arri VS motor. Where can I get a 16V belt or battery for a reasonable price? There is a local shop that will make me a 16V block but they want to charge me $1300.00 for just the charger alone.

Please advise!

Babar

Hi i just finished a project and the additional scenes were shooted with an arri 2c at 24 fpc with the old constant motor the power battery was a 12 volt with no problem at all. From 25 fpc and up i thing you mast use a 16.8 battery.

• 1 month later...

I built my own 18volt batteries from 3 x 6 volt cells. Sealed AGM. Gel Cell would work too. 18 volt float chargers are hard to find, but they are out there. Just search on google and you'll find them. I found a couple that are used for 18volt batteries that are used in some race cars. I think they are made by performance distributors. 18 volt AGM chargers also are used in motorized wheelchairs. So search for that type of stuff too.

Or, if you want, I'll make some and sell them to you.