Bolex EBM Matte box - odd shape!

Steven Grant James

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a Bolex EBM converted to super 16 from the states. I am very pleased with it, but the matte box is an odd shape and I don't quite know if it is supposed to take filters. I found this one filter made by Cokin that I rather like, and it actually is only a cm bigger than the matte box itself. Can anyone advise me on whether it would be wise to just buy this and stick it on somehow? (even though its not made for this kind of matte box).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1684...81EF_Warm_.html

Thanks people!

Guest Glenn Brady

The Bolex matte boxes - codes COPEN and COZOM - are intended to accommodate gelatin filters in two slots in the rear of the assembly. Those slots, along with two in the front of the assembly, can accommodate a variety of masks as well. Gelatin filters are widely available and can be cut to size, so I see no reason to prefer the Cokin filter holder, especially as you would need to find a way to fix it to the camera. The Cokin holder is intended to be attached to the lens, and, since many motion picture lenses have rotating front barrels, it isn't an ideal choice.

I own both Bolex matte boxes and a Cokin filter holder, and I can confidently say the build quality of the Bolex items is vastly superior to that of the Cokin.

I own both Bolex matte boxes and a Cokin filter holder, and I can confidently say the build quality of the Bolex items is vastly superior to that of the Cokin.

I understand what you are getting at Glenn, but if I want to use a filter like the one shown by Cokin.. how would I get one to fit the Bolex? I mean you can't get Gelatin filters like this, but I may be wrong.

Steven

Guest Glenn Brady

The Bolex matte boxes are designed for gelatin filters, which are very thin, and not the comparatively thick resin or glass filters accommodated by the Cokin filter holder or other filter holders of that kind. I suppose the slots on the Bolex matte box could be milled out to accept the thicker filters, or you could simply replace those bits (they're just held on with knurled screws) with bits made to suit the filters of your choice. You could also get a rod support and matte box system from another maker (e.g., Cavision or Chrosziel), but I think it's worth trying to adapt the Bolex matte box to your needs.