Minimal lighting kit for international travel.

If you had to choose one light to travel with for two weeks in the UK/NY that would be used primarily for sit down "talking head" interviews, what would it be? I'm thinking of an 800 HMI, which works well in most any situation.

you really can´t take THREE lights ?

• Premium Member

If you were shooting on video I'd go for arri 650s, and 300s. But that's just me. Seems to make sense to have units that won't blow too many 15A circuits too easily and should give you at least some flexibility. (add in a 1K for a nice key, with a 650 and a 300 and you have 3 point lighting)

I've even seen an Arri Kit with 1 650 1 300 and 2 150s in a nice shoulder bag with stands!

Just one light? Then I would have to say an 18k and a bunch of mirrors ;-)

If you want daylight balanced I would go for a joker bug 800 with their speed ring and chimera. It is very compact light that puts out a good amount of light for the wattage. With the flip of a switch it will operate at both UK and US voltages. You will of course need adapters for the plugs. If you can bring a second light then I would go for either a joker bug 400 or another 800. The cases are the same size but the 400 will all you to run both on the same circuit. Add a bounce card and you can do essentially a 3 light setup with only two lights (bounce the back light for fill).

If you want to go tungsten one of the arri kits would be a good way to go. You should be able to get adapters for the plugs but you will need to use different bulbs in the UK and the US. Don't get them mixed up or they could explode.

You should be able to easily rent a suitable light kit in either NY or the UK for not too much money so you don't necessarily have to bring lights from one to the other.

~Jess

you really can´t take THREE lights ?

That's what I said to the producer. :lol:

I'm sure I could bring an arri kit... the problem is that then I have to search around for 220 globes which are kind of hard to come by last minute... although I did find 2 of the 3 that I would need from "Visions of Color". The other thing about the arri kit is that the brightest light is a 1K and a lot of the time that's not enough....It's hard to say when I haven't been to the locations.

My gut says an 800 joker bug would do the trick. Someone mentioned a 400 as well. I think I'll probably end up going that way.

If they're all interior interviews, a couple of easily portable Kinoflo divalite's (low wattage, soft cosmetically attractive source, easily changeable from daylight to tungsten) and a Source 4 (or Source 4 Jr.) for splashing your background, and you're set might be a good kit to carry around.

If you're gonna have some exteriors, just get a couple reflectors & bounce boards.

I just worked a BBC docu-drama gig, and that was our basic kit for interviews.

One single light? Seriously?

Okay, don't laugh. A Lowel Omni with doors on the fill side of the subject aimed across at a white flexfill on the opposite side as a beautiful soft key. Use a bit of difussion across a tiny bit of the beam and steal some spill for fill. Adjust door and diff for right amount. Practicals for background, no backlight.

Supremely small, light, only two light stands required and results look amazingly good. Try it.

Different bulbs (easy to find) for the voltages, and all indoors, of course.

Edited by Steve London

I have done a one light setup with one HMI 575 as backlight directed at a bounceboard as key and another bounceboard on the fill side that picks up some light from the key bounce board, gives a nice soft key and fill while still having a good rimlight.

And you can add some diffusion/ND on part of the barndoors (that is hitting the subject from behind) so that you don't overexpose your backlight but still have the full strength of the light hitting the bounceboard.

I did miss one light to light the background but this was resolved using practicals.

The only downside to this set up is that the subject might feel a bit boxed in but then again it does shield unwanted audio a bit :P

greetz,

Edited by Sander van de kerkhof