Canon Scoopic MS LA7200 anamorphic experiment

Rolando Fernandez

Hi , here some photos of my experiment with the LA7200 adapter

Very nice job -

I'm putting together an anamorphic rig with a scoopic and the kowa 2x lens - I wonder if you have any pointers for lens support + matte box for this particular setup?

Thanks

David Mason

Very nice job -

I'm putting together an anamorphic rig with a scoopic and the kowa 2x lens - I wonder if you have any pointers for lens support + matte box for this particular setup?

Thanks

David Mason

Hi, how you gona fit the kowa in the 72mm canon lens? my knowledge is that kowa is a smaller lens and you need to zooming inside the lens.

For the la7200 I just made my own support,

for the anamorphic suppot get an old 72mm skylight filter break the glass , cut away the excess

metal ring in the la7200 adapter, screw on both parts , the focus ring of the scoopic will fit and allow

to focus perfect just keep the adapter horizontaly.

• Premium Member

Thank you very much for posting this.

I'm guessing there's no way to go handheld with the rig... those supports would be needed to keep the anamorphic alignment right?

On the video camera the focus is internal so I assume that bypasses the need for rods.

Yes , I just canibalize the scoopic it can be handheld, just below the lens in the front film housing

I made 2 small drills holes and fit an aluminum rod support bolted from the inside.

The trick is that the adapter moves back and forth as you focus but it is keep horizontal.

Were I live is very dificult to find parts for this , so I try to made it myself.

good luck!

Hi, how you gona fit the kowa in the 72mm canon lens? my knowledge is that kowa is a smaller lens and you need to zooming inside the lens.

for the anamorphic suppot get an old 72mm skylight filter break the glass , cut away the excess

metal ring in the la7200 adapter, screw on both parts , the focus ring of the scoopic will fit and allow

Thanks for your reply Rolando,

yes you are right about the the kowa - it has a 54mm screw mount and a 70mm front element, I'm using step down ring, then a polarizer with the glass taken out to orient the anamorphic lens - and there will be vignetting at shorter focal lengths because of the difference in lens area + adapters, etc. I just need to do some tests with it. But kudos for your custom design!

• Premium Member

I just tried out your adapter idea Rolando... thanks so much for the tip!

How many f-stops do you think that LA7200 sucks up? At least 2 I would think...

It's noticibly darker and not as sharp, but fun!

Looking forward to playing with it on a bright day.

I just tried out your adapter idea Rolando... thanks so much for the tip!

How many f-stops do you think that LA7200 sucks up? At least 2 I would think...

It's noticibly darker and not as sharp, but fun!

Looking forward to playing with it on a bright day.

Great! well the image in the photos is at maximun zoom and was a cloudy day I dont think

this lens will suck up more than 1 f-stop.

From looking through it... I've tried the same setup... it looks very dark compared to the Scoopic without this adapter on it.

Have you measured with a light meter?

Whats the rear diameter of the Panasonic anamorphot?

is it smaller than the front element of the Canon?

If so it would be acting as an aperture limiting the top f/stops.

• Premium Member

The rear element is 72mm diameter which matches the Scoopic lens, but it won't screw on properly because the threads are set back a little on the adapter.

Rolando came up with the simple yet ingenious solution of using a 72mm polarizing filer, breaking out the glass and screwing that in between which gives the added benefit of the filter's rotation to set the anamorphic adapter straight while focusing with the Scoopic lens.

Perhaps the extra milimeter or two this ads would jack with my ability to focus?

I'll check the lens with a meter to see if it makes a difference.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Just reviewed some Tri-X reversal shot with Rolando's idea of using the LA7200 anamorphic adapter...

I was actually impressed with how sharp it was. My exposure was off a little and I'm not quite sure why; it seemed over exposed so I will do more scientific tests in the future. But when the focus was correct it actually looked ok.

I reviewed it on a Millenium HD machine so it was a great platform to view it on. Unfortuntely I was just playing around with it and didn't really put it through a formal test although first impressions are positive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm glad to find this old topic because i was just trying to fix the la7200 to my scoopic MS.

Can you please send me some photos of your "solution" ?

How did you cut away the excess metal ring ? does it still work with the pana agdvx 100 ?

How can you keep the adapter horizontaly when you turn the focus ring ? pola adapter seems to me a solution... Rodes support seems to me difficult to adjust.

At last have you got some rushes of the result ? or still frames ?

Excuse my english is not very good, i'm french.

my mail : marccortes@noos.fr

Thanks

• 4 years later...

I came across this topic while I was trying to research if an anamorphic adapter would work for converting standard 16mm to widescreen without trying to adapt the gate on my Scoopic for Super 16. Looks like that answer is yes. If anyone has any more information on this I'd be very interested. Does anyone know if there is a particular adapter that would be best suited for the Scoopic's 72mm thread? It was also hard to follow because it looks like all of the pics are gone, am I missing something?

• Premium Member

This is an old post! The solution to the rotating issue is in the polarize filter (with glass broken out) and securing the LA-7200 to some rods so it doesn't turn when you focus. It's definitely a "rig" but it worked.

If the anamorphic is attached directly to the lens you wouldn't be able to change focus during a shot since the whole barrel rotates when focusing.