Xenon lights and when to use them

Lindsay Mann

• Premium Member

I've used Xenons only fleetingly but I've filed them away as possibly being really good for those great

shots of hard shafts of light like the library scene in "Citizen Kane". However, as I recall in that scene

the light was steep enough to make me wonder if using a Xenon would be limited because of the limitations

on tilting one.

Also, just for kicks, does anybody know what was used in that "Citizen Kane" scene?

I've used Xenons only fleetingly but I've filed them away as possibly being really good for those great

shots of hard shafts of light like the library scene in "Citizen Kane". However, as I recall in that scene

the light was steep enough to make me wonder if using a Xenon would be limited because of the limitations

on tilting one.

Also, just for kicks, does anybody know what was used in that "Citizen Kane" scene?

I can't recall the scene you speak of but before Mole came out with their Mole Beam fairly recently, there was the Beam Projector which is the same thing. I don't know who the manufacturer was but Paskal in LA had a few of the old ones. Not sure if they still do.

Personally I don't know if they had carbon arc versions, but if they did it must have been something.

Someone will have to talk to the older generations of Hollywood DP's and electricians to find out what was available back in the day.

Best

Tim

• Premium Member
I thought I heard it was a carbon arc unit, which is a safe choice considering the options back then. An arc can more that suit the purposes of making a very sharp shaft of light.

I remember reading some older generation DPs (I think James Wong Howe was one) saying that

there's nothing like a carbon arc for hard sunlight.

When CGI seemed to be taking everything over, my first thought was that all those beautiful shots

that are so Hollywood in the way that Hollywood is great, the smoke diffused hard lights coming through

castle windows and caves and secret hideouts and...libraries... would be done with CGI instead of lighting

and would never be the same.

Although, it's about time for my annual viewing of "It's a Wonderful Life" and I love the shot of the

flashlight beam, from the guy on the bridge, sweeping through the big snowflakes (okay not a day shot

but still a cool sharp beam) and yet I've never felt that that shot is entirely real.

Tim, I wish I could grab a frame to show. It's in the library when the reporter starts researching Kane's

life. It's wicked cool.

• Premium Member
Tim, I wish I could grab a frame to show. It's in the library when the reporter starts researching Kane's

life. It's wicked cool.

Hi Tim,

there ya go: library scene.

IIRC they used a carbon arc for that effect. Would taking the lens off alter characteristic of the beam? It would make the shadow harder, that I know, but has anybody here ever tried using an arc for making a beam like that?

Cheers, Dave

Edited by David Auner

• 2 weeks later...
I've found that Xenons are just interesting enough to justify all the trouble they bring. From my experience as well as the experience of some people I have talked to the type with ballasts on head are a little less finicky then those with separate ballasts. The particular model in the pictures Kevin posted is the Nexus II, which certainly had its quirks but was manageable. If you need the light to come strait down most places will rent you a special angled mirror that lets you accomplish this.

To get an idea of what kind of punch they pack check out some photometrics here. A 2k is about as bright as the sun at full spot from 50 feet away, granted only for a 24" beam diameter.

In regards to "Kevin's Package"... There's something either fantastic or absurd in using a light that takes four electricians to get up and and 36,000 watts to keep running as warm fill. If you ever hear "It's subtle but we like it." know that it's gaffer speak for "I'm sorry for making you get this light." ;)

Thank god we put that 36 light on a low boy crank I don't think we could have lifted it on a supercrank. Not without a few more hands and a lot less bulbs. Kevin loves to stuff his package when ever he can. It was a fun shoot but I thought the cable runs would never end!!

"I don't think we could have lifted it on a supercrank"

Ahh, well thats what the lift gate on the truck is for ;)

You and the guys did a great job, there were some massive cable runs, sorry about that!

All in a days work for K. Zanitski lol :P