Anamorphic Bokeh

David Regan

• Premium Member

So in an attempt to understand lenses a little bit better, there is something that has me puzzled regarding bokeh in film shot with anamorphic lenses. I certainly do not have an eye yet to be able to distinguish if a film has been shot anamorphic or spherical easily, but the one way I've seen to tell (I think) is in the bokeh. I first noticed a while ago a squeezed bokeh, and wondered if that ment it was shot anamorphic. I did some research and film had been. A few times since I've noticed again, and checked, and the films with the squeezed bokeh were shot anamorphic. So perhaps its just a coincidence, but assuming it isn't, my question is, why doesn't the bokeh get unsqueezed? Because isn't it just part of the image like anything else, with the 2x squeeze factor, so why doesn't it return to looking more spherical when released?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Ahhh so Max is fact there is a different squeeze ratio relative to the plane of focus what you mean in your post on Anamorphics, "The breathing is so prominent because of the change in compression, unless one is really stopped down...?"

Because that seems rack focusing would be nearly impossible to get away with unless as you say you are really stopped down, because wouldn't objects not only come in/out of focus, but they would get squeezed/unsqueezed in the shot?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This may be stupid but i'll ask any way... If you attach an anamorphic lens to the camera port offset by 90 degrees from the normal position, will the squeezing effect become horizontal instead of vertical, would the squeezed anamorphic bokeh appear horizontal? would flares become vertical?

Thanks

Not me, although I do recall someone talking about a crazy 1-perf format as well as a Vista-16, which was 16mm stock shot sideways for a very long frame.

Too crazy for me.

Mitch, has Abel received the anamorphics you mentioned a while back?