apprentices

Liam Dale

I'm not asking to be an appretice, I wondering more generally if you hear of it happening? There is so much talk about how film is an industry that you need to know people to work your way up, that you CAN work your way up, that it is debatable if going to film school is a worthy enterprise. Like becoming a violin maker, a carpenter, or any other occupation that there seems to be a need to "gather" information through practice - it seems logical that filmmakers would take on apprentices to pass on their knowledge. And I don't mean interns who just come, pick up a little information, and then head off, I mean have you heard of any significant cinematographers, directors, etc. taken someone under their wing?

Happens all the time. Even on this forum. Someone will ask a question, need help and some very notable DP's AC's Operators will answer to help. There's plenty of posts here, some show lighting set ups, some offer tips, some give very technical advice.

I believe that once Union there's an apprenticeship program. Maybe someone else could shed more light onto that.