Fuji Velvia 50D test in a Canon 814 AZ

Marty Hamrick

I just shot a test roll of Fuji Velvia 50D that I bought from Spectra with processing.I was careful before I loaded the cartridge in my Canon 814 AZ to see that the filter was OUT,the little light bulb icon showing,even looking down the lens barrel to see the filter was out.I inserted the cartridge and the filter switch went back to the sun icon showing the 85 filter to be in place.

My understanding is that daylight balanced film is to be shot in daylight WITHOUT the 85 filter.I checked the meter reading against a hand held meter and it jived pretty closely set at ISO 50.

What's the deal here?Could Spectra have improperly notched the cart in manufacture,or is it supposed to do that?Will my film come out underexposed and too warm?

I didn't think I needed to look at the switch again after I loaded the cart.I just noticed the switch was in the "sun" icon position,meaning filter IN.I was positive I had set the switch to tungsten(filter OUT)before loading the cart.I unloaded the cart, re set the filter switch to tungsten (OUT),reloaded the cart and watched the switch return to "sun" icon(filter IN).What's up here?I've shot other stocks with this camera and never encountered this.

I have shot many rolls of Spectra Velvia with only excellent results. A very nice stock to shoot

Not sure about the camera. But, I do know that Spectra Velvia, PlusX and TriX are filter notched all the same. They normally automatically REMOVE the 85 filter when inserted into a camera. I am sure this is just an over ride on your camera. I recommend you review your camera instructions to verify.

If you do not have instructions, open the camera door and run the camera while looking through the light path. If you press the filter button inside the camera as you are doing this you should see the light path color shift from orange to normal, indicating that the camera is working normally. Check the switch to see if it is affected.

Let us know what you discover.

They normally automatically REMOVE the 85 filter when inserted into a camera. I am sure this is just an over ride on your camera. I recommend you review your camera instructions to verify.

I actually found the camer's manual online.What it apparently does,is automatically remove the 85 when daylight balanced film is used.It leaves the "sun" icon showing so as not to confuse the "average Joe".

So far I've shot Trix and 200 T neg all with excellent results with this camera.I love the 814 AZ.Built like a tank.