Makin a frontbox...

• Premium Member
excuse my ignorance :unsure:

But what exactly is a frontbox?

Attaches to...? To hold common supplies?

Thanks! :)

It's just a box for stuff. It's the ACs place to put stuff and for the DP to overfill with his stuff, too.;) It attaches to a couple of pins that are on the front of the head. Those two pins are one of the few things that are truly and universally standardized in motion picture camera equipment, actually.

Decided on a more generic front box. If I built one again I would have made the front shallower, to make grabbing smaller items easier.

next, I am going to build a rain cover with a bit of elastic edge that can snap over everything quickly. I envision it looking a bit like a type writer dust cover.

Good lord, that box is LOADED!

• Premium Member
I was just so excited to have a front box, I stuffed it full of everything. :lol:

There's not even room for the DP's meter. Or his water bottle. Or his cigarettes. Oh, the lighter, too. And his phone and keys. Oops, wallet too while he's sitting on the dolly... ;)

• Premium Member
I was just so excited to have a front box, I stuffed it full of everything. :lol:

There's not even room for the DP's meter. Or his water bottle. Or his cigarettes. Oh, the lighter, too. And his phone and keys. Oops, wallet too while he's sitting on the dolly... ;)

Let me join Patrick questions...

I still don't realize the frontbox-head 2 pins conection. Neither Chris drawings or the photos help understanding. Does someone have photos of the frontbox mounted on a head?

Thanks a lot!

Diego.

Let me join Patrick questions...

I still don't realize the frontbox-head 2 pins conection. Neither Chris drawings or the photos help understanding. Does someone have photos of the frontbox mounted on a head?

Thanks a lot!

Diego.

Edited by Diego Garcia

• Premium Member

Yeah, suppose it would be polite to leave a spot open. I may add some velcro to one side so I can make some room, transfer a few items outside the box.

• Premium Member
Yeah, suppose it would be polite to leave a spot open. I may add some velcro to one side so I can make some room, transfer a few items outside the box.

Most DPs and operators are good about. A few would put the kitchen sink in there if they could. What would be a nice addition to a frontbox, now that I'm thinking about it, is something to hold eyeglasses and sunglasses. Something like a strip of leather stapled onto the side such that it sticks out in a few loops that glasses will hook to.

What would be a nice addition to a frontbox, now that I'm thinking about it, is something to hold eyeglasses and sunglasses. Something like a strip of leather stapled onto the side such that it sticks out in a few loops that glasses will hook to.

How about one of those sunglasses clips that are used on car sun visors:

http://www.amazon.com/Type-S-Double-Sungla...5988&sr=8-3

• Premium Member
How about one of those sunglasses clips that are used on car sun visors:

http://www.amazon.com/Type-S-Double-Sungla...5988&sr=8-3

That would work, too. I was thinking of a couple of loops because everyone has some sash lying around and they can't really break like those sunglass clips can.

• Premium Member

Glasses with a temple hooked through a loop shouldn't fall off easily. In any case, if they fall off everything else in the box dumps as well. Usually the head isn't bouncing about roughly enough for any of that. If it is your shot has problems.

• 5 weeks later...

I just bought some poplar stock today. They didn't have any 3/16", though, so I had to go with 1/4". Total cost for raw materials: $21. I know a guy that owns a table saw (actually, I gave it to him), and I have lots of wood glue and small screws lying around, so we'll see how it looks when I'm done. I might even go buy a half pint of pretty red (!) stain when I'm done...I'd paint it RED red, but if I was going to do that I'd have bought plywood in the first place...I'll just have to print the RED buzzsaw on a projector transparency and varnish over that...

The poplar looks pretty and is way lighter than oak. A RED on an Oconnor 2060 or 2075 is heavy enough...don't exactly need counterbalance there! I wanted cherry, but it was so expensive...

Will post pictures when I'm done.

By the way, would anyone be willing to take a flat scan of a frontbox bracket? Or do a precision diagram? A friend of mine is a machinist and I could probably have a batch of these made fairly cheaply if there was interest for them.

1/4" is pretty thin; I'd be nervous loading up a frontbox made with 1/4" stock. Especially the back panel where it attaches to the bracket, there's going to be quite a bit of stress, and poplar has more flex than oak. Mine is made with 1/2" oak sides with 1/4" non-moveable oak dividers, and 1/4" thick poplar for the bottom panelling.

Thanks for the extended drawings, Chris. There's an awsome site called ponoko which will basically take your drawings, laser cut wood of your choosing, flat pack it, and ship it out. I'm reworking the drawings into a consolidated .eps file, at which point I can determine the material cost. It shouldn't be much more than Mike's.

1/4" is pretty thin; I'd be nervous loading up a frontbox made with 1/4" stock.

Oh yes, definitely - the sides are 1/2" poplar. I considered oak, but wasn't sure how well I liked the weight of it...

I can buy it by the linear foot, so if the thing shows signs of stress (and I don't have a huge amount of stuff to put in it), I can always go back and get some oak or hickory (!) and try that instead.

That ponoko site sounds amazing. Makes me wish I hadn't bought the wood yet. Wow.

• Premium Member
Aah. Very good. I'm at my school's CAD lab right now, so I can draw up the frontbox for ponoko.

That's awesome! I'm glad my drawings are going to good use. They were, more than anything else, a way for me to doodle out my ideas for my own use so I'm glad they can go to more than just killing my own boredom. let me know when you have those all drawn out for this ponoko thing. I'd love to see how that works out.

I will warn you about one little detail with those drawings. Some of the measurments are a bit off due to that drawing program's rounding. For example, some things were meant to be 1/8 of an inch and they ended up being .1" or .15" rather than the proper .125". Just watch out for those. It's not like a frontbo is really that critical for size anyway, as long as it fits together with itself.

The real irony here is that I still haven't got to a workshop where I can make myself a frontbox. I've been up to my Dad's place a couple of times but other stuff got in the way.

Edited by Chris Keth