Where to start?

Hello,

My name is Alex, and I am currently a highschool student. I am very interested in film, and I watch movies constantly. I would like to further my knowledge in everything to do with film, but I don't exactly know how to go about it. I've been reading some websites, but I really don't know how to begin. Are there any books I should be reading, or should I just get out there with my camera, and start shooting?

Any help would be appreciated,

Alex B

Hi, Alex.

I have compiled a bunch of websites that may be able to help you. Go to my websites www.whatireallywanttodo.com and www.dzyak.com and look for the "resources" and "schools" pages. And my own book will be available in June '08 which should be able to help you focus your dreams into a more realistic plan for a real career in the future.

Apart from reading everything you can, I also highly recommend that you find someone in your area who will let you observe or intern with. Anyone in television or independent production. Anything "real" so that you can get a better sense not only of how the jobs are done, but what the days of those people are really like. Seriously, try to observe a news crew for a few days. Try to watch the Editors for a few hours. Find a production company in town and volunteer to carry equipment in exchange for the chance to observe a "film style" shoot or whatever they do. Go to the local college and volunteer to work on a couple of student films to see how they do it. The more people and situations you observe, the more you'll see what works, what doesn't, and you'll figure out sooner what it is you'd really like to do for a lifelong career.

Many of those books currently available which claim to tell you how to make a movie from the ground up and become rich are merely theory (and often, just wishful thinking). Invest time into finding out how production really works in the real world and then all of those "theory" books will make more sense.

And of course, sit down, start writing scripts of your own. Pick up a camera and experiment. Try everything. You'll find out what is possible, what you need to work on, what you could do with better equipment or more experienced people to help you. Invest those weekends away from class on learning and experimenting. In time, you'll find friends at school and in the area who have similar interests and will want to join in. Eventually, you'll be "good enough" to attempt to make a more ambitious film with better writing, better lights and cameras, better sets, and better actors (culled from the local theater or university). Every experience, good or bad, contributes to your goals. The trick is to never stop trying.

Hi Alex,

I suggest you start by reading the Books and Movies for Newbies topic pinned at the top of this section. Also, read everything you can get your hands on. Go to your library and see what they have because there are many books about filmmaking, and if your library doesn't have what you're looking for, you might be able to request it from another library. Also pick up a camera, even if it's just the camera your family uses for home movies, and start shooting anything. Does your high school have a video club?

Hello,

My name is Alex, and I am currently a highschool student. I am very interested in film, and I watch movies constantly. I would like to further my knowledge in everything to do with film, but I don't exactly know how to go about it. I've been reading some websites, but I really don't know how to begin. Are there any books I should be reading, or should I just get out there with my camera, and start shooting?

Any help would be appreciated,

Alex B

Shootingpeople.com

Great place to get a few positions on some small scale films, un-paid of course, but you'll learn a great deal from the experience. (And they pay your travel expenses)