Let's see your Bolex.

Guest Billy Furnett

• Premium Member
Never had so many Bolexes reunited at the same place and at the same time, so I seized the opportunity to take this picture for posterity.

I'm still trying to post a bigger picture (2486x1498) but I can't figure out how. Help anyone? Thanks.

But it's not the exodus of Bolex kind, is it?

Send to picture to some image service (or to me) and have it uploaded, if it is larger than what this site allows.

Cheers, Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All,

I am brand new to this forum today. I bought a Bolex years ago thinking I wanted to learn about cinematography. By profession I am a graphic designer, painter and amateur photographer. I am seeking help in identifying my Bolex. I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks,

Michael

P8110005.JPG

P8110008.JPG

P8110011.JPG

• 1 month later...
Hi Jean-Louis

it is a mix- heavily customized camera:the inside mechanic comes from a DS8 round base, the chassis comes from a 16mm SB. i take the 1:1 drive gear from the mechanic of SB, so i can mount an ESM motor. moreover i widened the shutter angle from 170° to about 220-230°, untill maximum permitted by pull-down movement, gaining about 1/2 f-stop. the spring motor is removed, so the camera runs only with electric motor. i removed the friction-speed selector too, that was very noisy, now the camera runs like a fly. Gate widened to MAX8 by the way.

Regards.

Robertopost-39610-1247344099.jpg

so what does the friction-speed selector do? what are you losing when you take it away? know anywhere who'd do this for me?

thanks

jamie

heres my rex5 recently acquired from ebay . i managed to get the last tobin motor in stock at duall in new york. im a total newbie to cinematography and cameras, ive been to film school but went down the compositing route. so this is my first camera ! still learning how to use it ! the main things which strike me are how difficult it looks to focus with that tiny viewfinder , and how noisy it is when running !

post-42718-1253143634.jpg

so what does the friction-speed selector do? what are you losing when you take it away? know anywhere who'd do this for me?

thanks

jamie

Hi Jamie , the friction speed selector now is dead. I take away the friction and the spring motor because they were very noisy for sound recording, moreover as you know, the spring motor has only 20 seconds run. Now, w/o friction, the electric motor runs more easily and sounds like a fly. I do not know any in UK that could do this job, but I do this job (cinecamera repair) from many years , i am optician.

Regards.

Roberto

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this doesn't count ( not my Bolex )

I saw this picture in a book the other day

'The Making of Enter the Dragon' showing cameraman Henry Wong shooting behind the scenes footage

which apparently amounted to over 9000ft of film sent to the US for editing into a 10 minute promotional

film.

Remarkably the remaining footage was destroyed ( approved by the studio ) and no single print of the documentary

seems to exist !

John S :o

post-39554-0-00826700-1302797081.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Here is my Bolex H16 EBM No. 1.

It features a Custom Made Konica AR Mount to Bolex Bayonet Mount Adapter by Jean-Louis Seguin with my Konishiroku Hexanon 135mm F2.8 Lens; Rail System, Follow Focus, & 2 Stage Filter Holder Matte Box by PROAIM. Tobin Crystal Controller for the EBM, EL, & ESM Motor, all sitting on an American Bolex Geared Tripod Head.

post-52273-0-87635000-1329233852.jpg

• Like 1

Cool Cams, Folks.

I was looking at the anamorphic rigs, and notice that one of them was using the Mat box for support. Is it OK to add lens support stuff on to these rails? If so Yippee! I will be able to cut down the amount of crap I haul around, using the equipment I already got.

Thanks,

Andrew

• 8 years later...

My father recently passed and owned several boiled Rex 5s that we’re passed down from my grandfather. Once this horrible plague is over I’ll be able to find them hopefully.  That and an old eclair 35mm he used for timelapse.  I really want to use them to shoot some stock. Good way to remember him. 

Edited by Shawn Sagady
  • Like 1

Rex IV, Super 16 conversion by Jean-Louis Seguin. MST motor with a piece of tape on top to keep me from accidentally throwing it into reverse when the motor is going forward. I have a pretty full set of Switars but I am experimenting with a couple of video lenses: a 17mm Xebec, and a 12.5mm Computar (which in my experience is actually a pretty good little lens).  

2020-04-29 14.30.04.jpg

• Upvote 1