JVC GY-HD100 - Depth of Field

Dan Durbin

We are planning a shoot with our JVC GY-HD100, and want a shallow depth of field (medium and medium long shots with background out of focus). The camera has the standard Fujinon Th16 x 5.5 BRMU lens. I recognize that shallow depth of field is an issue with HD Camcorders. However, does anyone have any suggestions or experience with achieving this look?

Thanks,

• Premium Member

Shoot wide-open, use tighter shots on longer lenses to get a blurrier background. Short of going to something like a P&S Technik adaptor and 35mm optics, that's about all you can do. Normally I'd also say use faster HD lenses, except I don't think there are any made for 1/3" cameras.

• Premium Member
We are planning a shoot with our JVC GY-HD100, and want a shallow depth of field (medium and medium long shots with background out of focus). The camera has the standard Fujinon Th16 x 5.5 BRMU lens. I recognize that shallow depth of field is an issue with HD Camcorders. However, does anyone have any suggestions or experience with achieving this look?

Thanks,

In addition to long focal lengths and shallow stops, one other thing to do is to get rid of eye-catching objects in the BG. Avoid anything with a lot of contrast. For instance, take out a black chair, and replace it with one that comes close to matching the wall behind it. Light the BG soft, get rid of obvious shadows. It doesn't change the DOF at all, but this production design approach helps achieve the same goal as shallow DOF, concentrating attention on your principals. Of course, a lot depends on what kind of show it is, and how much control you have over your locations.

-- J.S.

Shoot wide-open, use tighter shots on longer lenses to get a blurrier background. Short of going to something like a P&S Technik adaptor and 35mm optics, that's about all you can do. Normally I'd also say use faster HD lenses, except I don't think there are any made for 1/3" cameras.

We will probably make an investment in the P&S Technik Mini35 adapter. Do you feel this is a better approach than the Redrock Micro M2? Also, do you have any suggestions for the most flexible and cost effective 35mm lens for use with the Mini 35 or Micro M2?

Thanks,

• Premium Member
We will probably make an investment in the P&S Technik Mini35 adapter. Do you feel this is a better approach than the Redrock Micro M2? Also, do you have any suggestions for the most flexible and cost effective 35mm lens for use with the Mini 35 or Micro M2?

Thanks,

It's easier to pull focus with a cine lens rather than a still camera lens. Not sure which these adaptors are optimized for in terms of the size of the GG -- is it the 35mm cine frame size or the 35mm still camera frame size?

It's easier to pull focus with a cine lens rather than a still camera lens. Not sure which these adaptors are optimized for in terms of the size of the GG -- is it the 35mm cine frame size or the 35mm still camera frame size?

Both systems are compatible with still or cine 35mm lenses. The Redrock Micro M2 utilizes the existing lens on the camcorder, and comes in two versions a still version or a PL version. In this system the the still or PL lens is an auxiliary lens, and the original camcorder lens acts as a "relay" lens. The P&S Technik claims to be "optimized for 35 mm film lenses - motion and still". In this case the 35mm lens replaces the original camcorder lens. P&S Technik claims that the following lenses work "perfectly" (Zeiss Master Primes, Zeiss HS Primes, Cook S4 and Zeiss Ultra Primes). However, they claim that all 35mm PL-Mount lenses able to expose the N35 Academy format (22mm x 16mm) will work. I am familiar with still 35mm lens, but not 35mm cine lenses. Any suggestions on cine lenses?

Thanks,

There is an adapter from JVC that goes right in the camera lens mount (like a bayonet) and goes to PL. That will also let you use film accessories like an arri or chrosziel follow focus etc. The set up I've seen had 16mm zeiss primes up. I'm not sure who rent's this but for that camera I think it's the way to go. Try Birns and Sawyer in LA. They do have the lenses. Good luck,

Todd Ferguson.

• Premium Member
There is an adapter from JVC that goes right in the camera lens mount (like a bayonet) and goes to PL. That will also let you use film accessories like an arri or chrosziel follow focus etc. The set up I've seen had 16mm zeiss primes up. I'm not sure who rent's this but for that camera I think it's the way to go. Try Birns and Sawyer in LA. They do have the lenses. Good luck,

Todd Ferguson.

This is what you're thinking of: http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/feature...el_id=MDL101683. It allows you the angle of view and depth of field characteristics of the standard 16mm format.

• Premium Member
I am familiar with still 35mm lens, but not 35mm cine lenses. Any suggestions on cine lenses?

Many people are using Zeiss Superspeed lenses for this type of thing because they are fast (t1.3), reasonably sharp and reasonably cheap to rent (as 35mm film lenses go). But yes, you can use any PL mount lens you like.

Many people are using Zeiss Superspeed lenses for this type of thing because they are fast (t1.3), reasonably sharp and reasonably cheap to rent (as 35mm film lenses go). But yes, you can use any PL mount lens you like.

Michael and Todd:

Thank you for the lead on the ProHD PL film lens adapter. I'll look into this approach further.

• Premium Member
Michael and Todd:

Thank you for the lead on the ProHD PL film lens adapter. I'll look into this approach further.

I second the adapter. It is amazing. None of those spinning screen adapters come close in terms of optics and optical quality. Check out my web site for a great in depth article on it http://www.bluesky-web.com/HZ-CA13U.pdf

• Premium Member
anybody else has a footage from this adapter beside tim's demo ?

I have four hours worth of footage, just haven't posted it. Tested everything from primes ot snorkels with it. Simply blows away spinning screen adapters in terms of optics from my experience. Sad most folks don't know this. I have a few pictures of me with some of the lenses I used on my site.

At the bottom of this page:

http://www.bluesky-web.com/hdv.htm

I have four hours worth of footage, just haven't posted it. Tested everything from primes ot snorkels with it. Simply blows away spinning screen adapters in terms of optics from my experience. Sad most folks don't know this. I have a few pictures of me with some of the lenses I used on my site.

At the bottom of this page:

http://www.bluesky-web.com/hdv.htm

i think the problem is that most folks haven't seen enought footages from the adapter to justify spending $4k.

would you mind posting some of your footages i think that will help me make my decision and im also in nyc i can come by you if you mind .thanks

i think the problem is that most folks haven't seen enought footages from the adapter to justify spending $4k.

would you mind posting some of your footages i think that will help me make my decision and im also in nyc i can come by you if you dont mind .thanks