Job Dreams!

Matt Kelly

Man, I was so disappointed to wake up this morning and find out that this amazing matte-box I found walking down the street was just part of a dream.  

Last night I found a BIG pile of unaccounted-for Panavision goodies with scratched off serial numbers... So of course I immediately loaded them all into a large truck with great excitement.  It was during my getaway that I crashed the truck into a tree stump in a national park.  Because the truck was apparently owned by some church, they tracked it down and made me confess my wrongdoings in a tiny confession booth that appeared on the side of the truck.   Funny, I've never actually been in one.

Anyone want to share a funny/bizzare job-related dream here? :lol:

• Premium Member

I might as well recount the dream I had a couple weeks ago (wga strike = too much time on the internet)....

Had a dream I was again operating for Dean Semler (I operated for Dean on "Young Guns II" "Impulse" and a bit on "City Slickers" which was an experience that needs its own thread) and I was on the phone with him discussing rates for the rest of the camera crew. I was ok with the rate I had negotiated but I felt that the rates for the assisitants were below what they deserved. It was a very cordial phone call, that was the extent of the dream.

However, the morning after said dream I saw Dean at the local car wash. I haven't seen Dean since a screening for "Apocolypto" last year. I told him that I had just had a dream that had included him and he asked if I really wanted to share it with him. I told him about it, we chatted for a bit (Dean is off to Australia for "Justice League"), mostly about what a coincidence the whole thing was.

• Premium Member
(I operated for Dean on "Young Guns II" "Impulse" and a bit on "City Slickers" which was an experience that needs its own thread)

Well, you've piqued my interest. Start that thread....I'd love to read it.

I don't have an actual "dream" to share, but I do constantly have the same dream of working on great projects with fun, creative people. It's happened a few times, and I'm looking forward to the next.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I dreamt I was hired as the DP for some new Ridley Scott movie, but there was no other crew, just him, an actor and me. It took two days of different flights to get to this remote island in the middle of nowhere, where the three of us would be dropped off by a helicopter to shoot for a month all by ourselves.

After the helicopter was long gone and we were setting up the first shot, I realized I forgot my light meter.

• Premium Member
I dreamt I was hired as the DP for some new Ridley Scott movie, but there was no other crew, just him, an actor and me. It took two days of different flights to get to this remote island in the middle of nowhere, where the three of us would be dropped off by a helicopter to shoot for a month all by ourselves.

After the helicopter was long gone and we were setting up the first shot, I realized I forgot my light meter.

That's horrific!

I had a pretty bizarre one where I was pulling focus for an action movie. The shot was a car driving right toward camera at ridiculously high speed and zooming dangerously close to the lens. I got my marks and on the first take the pull was so fast that I broke my wrist and passed out. I woke up at the hospital and the crew was gathered around me and told me that I had nailed the take. What could it all mean? :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

I always have nightmares about buzzing the focus repeatedly and making all kinds of mistakes the night before an AC gig. Luckily I've never had an experience nearly as bad as my nightmares.

Funny how it only happens for AC gigs, and never for DP gigs.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank