ASC Names Feature Film Nominees

Nick Evert

http://www.ascmag.com/news/News_Articles/News_127.php

Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC (The Assasignation of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and No Country for Old Men), Robert Elswit, ASC (There Will Be Blood), Janusz Kaminski (The Diving Bell and The Butterfly), and Seamus McGarvey, BSC (Atonement) are the nominees for top honors in the feature film category in the 22nd Annual American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Outstanding Achievement Awards competition. The winner will be announced here during the awards celebration on January 26, at the Hollywood and Highland Grand Ballroom.

Deakins is the first cinematographer to claim two ASC nominations in one year in this category. He was previously nominated five times and won twice (The Shawshank Redemption, The Man Who Wasn?t There). This is the fourth ASC nomination for Kaminski, the second for Elswit, and the first for McGarvey.

?In the opinion of their peers, these four talented individuals have set the contemporary standard for artful cinematography in a very competitive field,? says Russ Alsobrook, ASC who chairs the organization?s Awards Committee. ?They were nominated for distinctly different genre films. The common denominator is that they all succeeded in helping to create a sense of time and place while evoking emotional responses that were in tune with the intentions of the actors and directors.?

ASC President Daryn Okada points out that the four nominees were born and raised in different countries. Deakins is from England, Kaminski is from Poland, McGarvey is from Ireland, and Elswit is a native of the United States.

?Artful cinematography is a global language, which frequently goes unnoticed by critics and the general public, because it is usually designed to be unintrusive,? says Okada. ?It requires innate talent, the ability to master a complex and constantly evolving craft, and a penchant for collaborating with many people for a common goal. Our purpose is to let our colleagues know we appreciate their artistry.?

What a great year for photography. All the nominees are very deserving of this honor. As a personal favorite, I would have to pick Roger Deakins for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".

Deakins was great with "The Assasination of Jesse James" and "No country for old men", Kamisnki has the credit for translate the feeling of the character to images in"The diving bell and the butterfly" but i was astonish with "Atonement", seriously i don't know who will win, oh and "There will be blood", just impressive!, great nomenees clearly my choices for this year.

My Choice Janusz kaminski for "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly".

Edited by Juan Guajardo

Wow what a tough one, I still have not seen jesse james, but from what I seen I hope this is deakins year.

But hes got some tough competition, the diving bell and the butterfly was amazing.

so I may have to say janusz kaminski will win, but until I see jesse james my opinion may change