BAFTAS -Cinematography Nominations.

John Holland

• Premium Member
Bourne Ultimatum? Really? OK

This is indeed beyond my grasp. I think the entire Bourne trilogy is very much overrated, cinematically & cinematographically, and I truly cannot understand why Brocolli & Wilson started to get "worried" about those films in respect to their 007 franchise?

As someone who thinks that both BAFTAS and the Golden Globes have been the consistently most respectable mainstream awards over the past decades (there is Locarno, too), I think Seamus McGarvey should get the award for "Atonement" out of the nominations.

And I think that will happen, too.

• Premium Member

I know a cinematographer can get nominated twice for different films for the Oscars. Is this not the case with the BAFTA's as I thought Roger Deakins might have also got one for The Assassination of Jesse James

• Premium Member
I'm really upset that Roger Deakins was nominated for No country and not for Jesse James. Explain that. The extraordinary photography in Jesse James only comes around so often. No respect.

Maybe Jesse James was not released in the U.K. during the nominating period?

Just received this from BAFTA.

Dear John

The Bourne Ultimatum is a British Film under UK Film Council guidelines and has British film

certification . It is therefore eligible for the award.

When voting the members vote for a film rather than an individual. The Assassination of Jesse

James simply didnt receive as many votes from our voting membership as No Country for Old

Men in the category .

No Country for Old Men was released on 18 January. The deadline by which films must open to

be eligible for the Film Awards is 8 February.

Best wishes

Louise Beasley . Film Awards Officer .

• 3 weeks later...