registration test charts

Hello

I just got off a feature and remembered during prep that we had these registration charts used in France. You shoot the first passage after lining up the crosshairs of the chart, flip the chart upside down, line up the crosshairs again and shoot the second passage. The results are checked by the sequenced curved pattern which would form a straight line due to the 2 passages.

My question is, the last copy of the chart was sent back to France with the gear and am wandering if anyone has one in hand that they can post or access over the net.

Thanks!

Hello

I just got off a feature and remembered during prep that we had these registration charts used in France. You shoot the first passage after lining up the crosshairs of the chart, flip the chart upside down, line up the crosshairs again and shoot the second passage. The results are checked by the sequenced curved pattern which would form a straight line due to the 2 passages.

My question is, the last copy of the chart was sent back to France with the gear and am wandering if anyone has one in hand that they can post or access over the net.

Thanks!

Hi Yuka,

This is the link where you can order one, so I don't know where you can get one on the net.

mire fixité cst.

Anyway you can also use this chart it's works fine too :) screw it about 45° for the 2nd passage.

regards.

Edited by Mikael Lemercier

• Premium Member

I shoot a siemans star for registration test. Just offset each pass a tiny bit and any shake will be very obvious. You can get a free siemans star chart from panavision australia's website.

Recently, when shooting abroad, I've taken a grid test projector with me. I don't know what it's proper name is but engineers often turn up with it on set for grid tests. It attaches to the camera's mount like a lens and projects a grid that can be rotated by twisting. You power it off of a 12v battery and it has a dial where you set your film speed. It's so useful if you arrive in the country your shooting in and have to steady test 5 bodies on a truck full of assistants (with everyone wanting to get to the bar as soon as possible!)

Mikael: Mire fixite!! Thank you! Apparently the French crew is coming back to reshoot so I will have them order one.

Chris Keth: I usually use a Siemens star but after using the mire fixite, you can use a scale on the grid to tell the accuracy of the results-highly recommended!

Chris Clarke: Yes the best method is the grid test projector but rental houses don't rent them out much..

Thank you all and best of luck this year!

• Premium Member
Chris Keth: I usually use a Siemens star but after using the mire fixite, you can use a scale on the grid to tell the accuracy of the results-highly recommended!

You don't need to know the 'accuracy of the results.' All you need to know is whether or not it is steady. If not, send the body back. If it is, go to your next test.