creating a dated look in the year 2004

hello all,

I am trying to create a 1960's /70's look for a short film. Actually we are trying to shoot new york for paris...aint easy...i had some queries, and since we dont have the budget for adaquate tests, I was wondering about others' experience.

1) shooting clean (no filters) versus telecine.

2) underexposing 500T and pushing 2 stops.

3) lenses/optics

4) lighting...specific gels? or diffusion.

5) soft versus hard light?

anything that would help me get a sense of how to re create this period aesthetic, i would sincerely appreciate it.

james

nyc wannabe dp

Jason,

Please do not cross post messages in different categories. It won't get responses any quicker and I for one hate it.

Art direction plays a huge roll in period films. Wardrobe must be consistent with the time period your going after, automobiles must be consistent, etc.

If the project is going to telecine, creating the "look" of period pieces isn't that difficult but you must decide beforehand what you want the film to look like and that depends on the story. Should the film be desaturated? Should it be dirty with scratches like it's been in the attic for 40 years? Should it be black and white? There are a thousand things to consider but wardrobe and locations are the first hurdle. You can't have items in your shot that did not exist in the period of time you are trying to recreate.

Jeff Tanner