ASC Awards tonight

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

Congrats to an occasional poster here, Glen Winters! He won the ASC Award in the TV Series category, for his episode of "Smallville". It was great to meet him.

Also congrats to Ben Nott, who won the Mini-Series / Pilot award for "The Company" (shot on the Arri D20, though this is not the first time an ASC TV award went to something shot digitally).

And finally, the Best Feature Cinematography Award went to...

... Robert Elswit for "There Will Be Blood". Congrats Robert!

Though the clip they picked from "Jesse James" to show was the amazing nighttime train robbery scene, which was just fantastic to see again. Elswit talked about how some years, it's just impossible to judge one ASC nominee against another, they are so close -- and he also joked that they may have to come up with a new category called "Best Feature Shot by Roger Deakins".

Walter Lassaly gave a nice speech, in which he complained about the lack of a single frame to compose a movie in. He said today we're asked to "shoot and protect" when the cinematographer should be the one who is protected (to allow them to compose the movie for one frame), and whoever asks him to protect for TV... should be shot!

I have to pay respects to my good friend Sean Stiegemeier, co-winner of the ASC Student Heritage Award for his film "The Butcher's Daughter". It's great to hear that Robert Elswitt won, I'll second the nomination of a new category for "Best Deakins Film", perhaps he'll walk away with an Oscar this year.

Congrats to an occasional poster here, Glen Winters! He won the ASC Award in the TV Series category, for his episode of "Smallville". It was great to meet him.

Also congrats to Ben Nott, who won the Mini-Series / Pilot award for "The Company" (shot on the Arri D20, though this is not the first time an ASC TV award went to something shot digitally).

And finally, the Best Feature Cinematography Award went to...

... Robert Elswit for "There Will Be Blood". Congrats Robert!

Though the clip they picked from "Jesse James" to show was the amazing nighttime train robbery scene, which was just fantastic to see again. Elswit talked about how some years, it's just impossible to judge one ASC nominee against another, they are so close -- and he also joked that they may have to come up with a new category called "Best Feature Shot by Roger Deakins".

Walter Lassaly gave a nice speech, in which he complained about the lack of a single frame to compose a movie in. He said today we're asked to "shoot and protect" when the cinematographer should be the one who is protected (to allow them to compose the movie for one frame), and whoever asks him to protect for TV... should be shot!

Thanks David,

It was an amazing evening and great to meet you. I am humbled and in awe of the honor. I would like to mention my fantastic lighting and camera crew in Vancouver, who work tirelessly on a very challenging series. They all share this with me!

Glen