Smallville "Noir"

post-781-1201838810.jpg

Smallville's season 6 episode "noir" featured a unique storyline about a detective uncovering a murderous plot. The story called for a "film noir" look and Glen Winter, long time DP for the show, pulled it off. It was amazingly well done. I am a big fan of the genre and of the show -- and I really loved this episode! The story was clever and fun. The cinematography and set/costume design was perfect and helped to really sell that episode. I had talked to Glen a few years before and asked him if he had ever used nets behind the lens, a technique I am very fond of. He said he never tried it on the show. But on this night I was so excited to see this episode feature net artifacts on screen and I felt he captured the (film noir) look perfectly. Last saturday the ASC held their awards ceremony and Glen Winter was awarded for his work on the episode "Noir". Congratulations Glen and thanks for making Smallville look good!

• 1 month later...

Hey Roberto,

hey I just noticed your post. Thanks for the support!!!!! Yes it was fun to do something a little different. We actually used Double X black and white stock for the episode and I used a fogal stocking as you noticed. It gives a nice supple diffusion, and you get those interesting blossoming highlights. To get an award for such an exciting episode was a dream come true.

If you are interested, I recently shot an episode called Fracture, which just aired, where we venture into the recesses of Lex's mind. I used a net for much of that episode as well, in addition I did a 100% bleach bypass on the negative. I also had some fun with Kodak reversal 5285 cross processed for one scene. In addition we played with Panavisions Hylen lens system for the Lex Lana love scene. Check it out, it pretty cool!

Thanks again for watching, and always having something nice to say.

Glen

Hi Glen first congratulation you make a terrific job. Honestly until now i never saw this serie before this post, i began seeing the serie with your winner episode and then another, and other an another... from this season, really great job... I start searching for old seasons...

I'm intrigue about the cross processing technique i know what it is, but could you tell us your experience about this and why you use a reversal film, i guess works better than negative?. Any way thank you for share with us your experience...

Xavier Plaza

• 4 weeks later...

I loved Fracture. It is my favorite episode this season so far. I tend to like episodes that delve into a character and their past, especially if it is as dark and twisted as Lex's. This episode was memorable for many reasons, the cinematography not excluded. I noticed again the use of nets, especially when Lex gets shot. The scene I would guess was shot cross processed was Lex's childhood memory. It worked perfectly as the skewd colors reminded me of an old photograph.

vlcsnap-4669856.png

I am intrigued by Panavisions Hylen lens system used in the Lex Lana love scene. A bit of research shows that it is a system that mounts between the camera body and lens to give the cinematographer control over effects through smart plug-ins such as RFC (regional focus control) which I believe was used for the scene. The effect has an area of sharp focus with the surounding area of frame defocused.

vlcsnap-4677404.png

vlcsnap-4680059.png

The show focused a great deal on Lex's mind and it succeded, making it a very disturbing and scary place. Congratulations on another excellent episode!!

Edited by Roberto Hernandez

• Premium Member
I am intrigued by Panavisions Hylen lens system used in the Lex Lana love scene. A bit of research shows that it is a system that mounts between the camera body and lens to give the cinematographer control over effects through smart plug-ins such as RFC (regional focus control) which I believe was used for the scene. The effect has an area of sharp focus with the surounding area of frame defocused.

http://www.hylensystem.com/

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know why, but i can't attach any file. I try several times but I can't, hope later i can do that...

Hi Xavier, You can try and upload a picture when you reply by using the Attachment Editor. This should work as long as your picture is not larger than 100k. If the file is too big you can insert an image using the Insert Image button below the Fonts menu.

Thank you for the link Michael! ;)

Hi Xavier, You can try and upload a picture when you reply by using the Attachment Editor. This should work as long as your picture is not larger than 100k. If the file is too big you can insert an image using the Insert Image button below the Fonts menu.

Thank you for the link Michael! ;)

Hi Roberto you're right, but i guess my problem is more than that... I think I use beyond my usual quote " 506.65K of 100K " . I delete a lot of attachments but it doesn't work... I think I have to delete all my attachments, but i don't want that... Anyway Thanks

• 2 weeks later...