leaving town to shoot a feature

• Premium Member
Hopefully it's not as bad as having never seen Jaws! ;)

YOU NEVER SAW "JAWS"? HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT, WITH ITV RUNNING IT WITH FRIGHTENING REGULARITY?

(apart from such handy media such as VHS, LD, CD-V, DVD, BD that came and went since that fish appeared first time?)

• Premium Member

Congrats, David. Vancouver, BC is a wonderful city! (It's my favorite "walking" city.)

Here's a webcam updated throughout the day, PST:

http://www.katkam.ca/p.asp?what=currentjpg

FYI: _Hundreds_ of videos about life in Vancouver, produced by the city's government-access cable-TV channel:

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/Greaterdot...ction=GVTV.home

All the best,

Peter DeCrescenzo

• Premium Member
Don't you always? :P You should start an organization to promote anamorphic.

I'd join. :ph34r:

His last couple of features have been super 35. I don't recall the format for this one being mentioned...perhaps it's yet to be determined.

• Premium Member

A decision was already made to shoot this one in 1.85, but it makes sense. Some of the action is vertical (I won't explain what that is) and the director wants to emphasize the sky and treetops above the characters. And I haven't done a 1.85 feature in years actually, maybe not for five years at least (other than the fact that "Big Love" was 1.78) because I'm such a fan of 2.40. So I'm actually interested in exploring 1.85 again as an aspect ratio -- Rodrigo Prieto and Remi Adefarasin have inspired me this year with their great 1.85 work. Hopefully I can shoot in Super-1.85 since a D.I. is planned anyway.

David poop happens talking about "Big Love " and the writers strike but think what you are doing is going to be great career move . I watched Diablo Cody pick best original screen play for " Juno " last night, think it should be a good shoot. Vancouver is the only place in Canada i have been to beautiful place but can be a bit overcast ,so you may end up photographing a almost European looking film .Good luck .

• Premium Member

David,

Congratulation on your new project. My wife and I just saw Juno yesterday and really loved it. You'll be working with a good group.

I don't know if Vancouver gets quite as much rain as we do here in Portland, but I noticed the moss was pretty prevalent in the outdoor scenes from Juno, so they probably do. By your shooting date in March it may have dried out somewhat. Just bring a good raincoat and some Gore-Tex.

And as always, thanks for sharing the production with us.

Best,

-Tim

YOU NEVER SAW "JAWS"? HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT, WITH ITV RUNNING IT WITH FRIGHTENING REGULARITY?

(apart from such handy media such as VHS, LD, CD-V, DVD, BD that came and went since that fish appeared first time?)

I have no idea! It just happened. I guess it helps that I don't have a TV but even so it's not like it's exactly an insignificant movie. I'm going to see if the library has a copy, I've never seen one there but it's worth a try, they may of course assume everyones seen it!

love

Freya

David,

If you are going to shoot in early to mid March, do you feel that you will have enough time for prep? Scouting, testing and such. I ask this, because I notice that most films really only do get going about six week out. Given the huge logistical nature of most features these days, is that really enough time or has a lot of the prep work already been done?

All in all, a really sweet gig; getting to look at Megan Fox for twelve hours a day and getting payed to do so.

I look forward to I.D. as well. Your visual style mixed with the Polish brothers keen sense of story in a sci fi film is very intriguing.

• 1 year later...

A query in response to David Mullen ASC's post:

David, ths offers me an opportunity to ask for some ideas on ways to avoid the overlit, flat lighting of comedies, as I had such a comedy COME OUT OF MY MIND whether I liked it or not, it's about a woman with a history of a disastrous love life who takes some loopy steps to fix it. Boy, does she fix it.

I usually write dark dramas, and although this is a RomCom with a happy ending, I think there must be some way to light/shoot

it so it is visually appealing instead of flat and garish.

This is a super-micro budget deal, under 50k, 16mm but we have time because I own the camera and we are working only on weekends so we can wait for multiple mafic hours and so forth.

I welcome ideas from anyone, not just high-level professionals like David.

Just, please, don't tell me to get a ton more money and "do it right"- not all of us are geniuses with connections.

Implicit in "do it right" is waiting, which personal circumstances prevent from being an option.

Edited by Alain Lumina