How do you choose your crew?

Edgar Dubrovskiy

• Premium Member

I love to work with the same team of people as often as possible. I choose all my keys and then for the most part have them choose whoever they want. That said, I have become good friends with some of my electrics, dolly grips, 2nds, etc so I like to keep everyone the same as much as I can.

Working with the same team is great because A. I like all the people on the job, and B. I can really predict our pace better and if the team all knows each other, we all tend to move faster.

Kevin Zanit

Working with the same team is great because A. I like all the people on the job, and B. I can really predict our pace better and if the team all knows each other, we all tend to move faster.

i work the same but if i can't work with one of them then i will chose someone i will have good time work with rether then 100% pro with bad attitued

then if it's the right project i will take new comer give him chance

• Premium Member
Hi!

I am really interested in how you, DPs, select your crew.

Do you change your ACs often?

Do you always select the same people?

Are you open to newcomers?

How do you select them?

CV? Showreel? Contacts?

Thanks!

I do often use new crew, only because my fav's are usually too busy !

It's all about attitude. Im happy to take a more positive attitude over a lack of experience any day. It count's for a lot in my book.

Balance is good too. Its nice to have a mix of old and new. I like trying out newcomers. I usually come across them as volunteers on one shoot or another, and they get in touch, or we get chatting on set. I don't think I've ever used someone that has cold called me or just sent me a CV. I always feel I have to know them in some way or have some kind of relationship with them.

The exception is when I get recommendations from someone I trust. Even then I will still call to chat and see what they're like.

And I often choose crews on the directors and projects that I'm working on. Some call for different things and different personality types.

jb