Stock Testing?

ok, heres the deal. Im still a kid, 17 with some 16mm poop under my belt, I want to be a DP and have done a lot of 1st AC work on a lot of different formats. I've been watching how the DP does stuff, plays with lights and whatnot, But I want to do some testing myself, I just shot some Vision2 200T under very difficult lighting situations, let me put it this way, there wasnt enough light, I shot it at a 1/4 stop under the entire time, it came out fine, I like it. was the first 16mm I personally DP's and it really impressed the crap out of my fellow classmates, but I feel I could have done a much better job. Is it possible to grab a light kit, and a few rolls of 35mm still film and do some testing with my SLR? play with the different film stocks? Like I heard that the "HD Film" is the Kodak Vision2 400T, so If I did some testing in still photography and save myself a lot of fu**ing money (lets face it, shits not cheap for a highschool kid living on his own) will it have the same results as if I was shooting motion picture? I've got some Superia Reala 100 in my camera, my lightmeter right here, would you suggest doing some testing in this manner? I just want to see how these stocks handle color and contrast at different exposures, under exposing some shots, then going over a stop, check the lattitude, shadow detail etc...any advice or suggestions from *Experienced DP's* would be appreciated...thanks

• Premium Member

Shooting stills is a good and cheap way to learn the nuances of various stocks, so you've got the right idea. RGB Labs in Hollywood sells motion picture stocks in still film canisters, and will do the processing for you as either slides or prints.

If you have the darkroom equipment you can load motion picture film into your still camera for the same purpose. But keep in mind that motion picture film has an anti-static REM-jet backing that needs to be scrubbed off during processing, something not done with still film developing. DO NOT attempt to process motion picture film at a stills lab, the backing will gum up their chemicals and the lab will hate you ($$$$$).

The Kodak VISION2 line has two different 500T stocks, but not a 400. You're probably thinking of VISION2 5218 500T.

I agree with Michael. Shooting stills using a manual camera and taking detailed notes about what the lighting, exposure and development will teach you the important basics of sensitometry that apply to film. Check the local library for books on photography such as Ansel Adams "The Negative". Look at books on lighting. Often the photos will be crap but the concepts will be valuable. Be meticulous. Look at photographers work in books, comic books, painters of all kinds. Read American Cinematographer magazine.

Watch alot of movies. Volunteer to work on movie productions or at a rental house.

What you put in to it is what you will get out of it.

I would say, get a copy of "The Negative" by Ansel Adams. Get a processing tank for B&W 35mm still film and follow the book. No need to make enlargements, contact prints would do. Also in motion picture we don't change the gamma for each shot as Ansel would do on sheet film.

There is a lot of used B&W 35mm darkroom equipment for sale on Ebay. I suppose you have a 35mm SLR.

After you've mastered exposure control (zone system) and gamma control then start shooting color.