Other hobbies and interests?

Chris Keth

• Premium Member

I know this is a professional forum and it is mainly run as one. There isn't much talk here that isn't about some aspect of cinematography or filmmaking in general.

That leads me to the reason I'm posting: I don't know much about anyone here other than their job, work, etc.

What are some other hobbies and interests that you find yourself filling your spare time with? I'll ban the answer "photography" simply to save 99.9% of the people here 11 keystrokes. ;)

As for myself, I'm a person of pretty diverse and far too many interests. I'm a hunter and fisherman and have been since I was very little. I learned to flycast when I was 4 and grew up fishing the famous troutstreams of Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.

I've painted and drawn for a long time, though less since I left school. I've always been very interested in calligraphy and languages and still promise that I won't visit any country without learning at least a little of their language. I'm Irish and Scottish and, if I can ever visit either one of those I would love to use that as an excuse to learn Gaelic. Not exactly a practical language but very beautiful.

I'm very interested in history. I think I get that from my Dad. He researched our family history back many generations and has a lingering interest in historical reenacting.

Finally, for now, I have been a gamer for a long time. I enjoy video games but I really enjoy tabletop miniature gaming. I have been nerding out to Warhammer since I was pretty young and have been painting my own miniatures for almost as long. My favorite game is Diplomacy.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good idea. I for one also enjoy painting and drawing, though I haven't done it consistently since the late nineties, especially painting . . .

Also, I have been playing drums since I was 17. It is hard to find people who like the music that I want to play, equal parts live electronica, jazz and rock. So I now play a one-man band type music ala Dosh (for lack of a better comparsion) if you know who he is. But he is a lot better! I usually try to stick to soundtrack work, for live gigging is a pain: it takes me 1 hour to break down/ set up my complete drum kit/ electronic percussion/ amp/ laptop and electronix set. The whole deal times 4 by the time I am back at the house. Not cool. Wish I had taken up maracas sometimes . . . See photo below.

Between sitll photo and motion picute work, music and my girlfriend, that keeps me busy most of the time.

2284587591_878e4bfeb7.jpg

• Premium Member

My drawing skills constantly come in handy, doing storyboards or rough drafts for ones, even on my current project. Haven't painted in awhile. Used to build plastic kit models, last one was a Star Trek model.

I liked to read history and biographies. I just finished a book on the transition from Elizabeth I to James I in England, am now reading a biography of Isaac Newton on my spare time. Last bio I read was the one by Walter Issakson about Einstein, and the one before that was on Charlemaine.

Also read science fiction now & then, though sometimes just Star Trek books on airplane trips. Just finished the final book of a trilogy by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter.

I like cooking, though nothing serious, and I like eating at interesting ethnic places and comfort food places, nothing too expensive.

I like to travel now & then. Maybe my next vacation will be overseas -- I've always wanted to see Germany and Austria.

I have a fairly large collection of film scores on CD.

• Premium Member

I used to play warhammer with some friends before they all moved away for college. The noble knights of Bretonnia were unrivaled!

If drinking coffee counts as a hobby, then there's that. I'm such a regular at a few starbucks the staff doesn't even charge me anymore, which is quite an accomplishment I'd say!

I'm an avid wanderer. I often just hop in a car and drive in a direction along backroads until I nearly run out of gas and have to scramble to find a station. Or I'll walk around the city until all hours of the night (just got back from one of those) just people watching.

In terms of books I read a wide array of things. A lot of it is anthropological now a days (finishing up anthropology major), but also some physics, philosophy, art, etc. Don't do much fiction anymore; as my dad got a PhD in English literature, so growing up I was exposed to a lot of that.

Also, I have an unhealthy obsession with world domination through the Sid Meir Civilization series!

Chris, if I ever get out to Cali, fancy a little warhammer bout? I think I have some grail knights laying 'round (that is assuming you're not a 40K player)

• Premium Member

I would certainly consider it. I don't have any warhammer stuff left, though. I've been playing smaller scale games lately. War machine is a lot of fun. Diplomacy is always a possibility, but I won't play with less than the full 7.

• Premium Member
I like to travel now & then. Maybe my next vacation will be overseas -- I've always wanted to see Germany and Austria.

Hi David,

that is a very good idea! If you do come to Vienna be sure to drop me a line and I'll show you round and buy you a beer!

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

Hi folks,

well it seems we do have more in common than cinematography. I like to read too, currently it's Hofstaedters Goedel, Escher, Bach. I used to draw quite a bit when young, but can't seem to find much time for that nowadays. Same goes for building models, mostly plastic kits but the also RC sailplanes. I also road bike and (very rarely) snow board. It's interesting that you guys haven't talked about sports much! Seems like our jobs are enough of a workout ;)

Oh and I also enjoy computer Role playing games a lot and the ocassional strategy game. But lack of spare time usually takes care of that. When busy with computer-heavy projects I don't really did spending my scarce spare time in front of a screen as well.

Regards, Dave

PS: The offer to David stands for everyone around here should they come to Vienna!

• Premium Member
It's interesting that you guys haven't talked about sports much! Seems like our jobs are enough of a workout ;)

I'm fairly ambivalent toward most sports but I'm a baseball nut. I'm (for better or worse) a Pirates fan. Unfortunately for me they haven't been any good since my dad was in high school. A perfect evening for me is catching a triple-A (more exciting than the majors, and cheaper with nicer ballparks) ballgame and keeping score with a hotdog and a beer.

• Premium Member
I'm fairly ambivalent toward most sports but I'm a baseball nut. I'm (for better or worse) a Pirates fan. Unfortunately for me they haven't been any good since my dad was in high school. A perfect evening for me is catching a triple-A (more exciting than the majors, and cheaper with nicer ballparks) ballgame and keeping score with a hotdog and a beer.

Hehe, Chris you dodged the question again, or must have put myself wrong! :D

I was wondering whether any of your was the sportive kind as in mountain biking, playing football yourself and the like.

I don't really dig watching any kind of sports, with the exception of some road bike races, but nowadays with all the doping scandals this ain't no fun either.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
Hehe, Chris you dodged the question again, or must have put myself wrong! :D

I was wondering whether any of your was the sportive kind as in mountain biking, playing football yourself and the like.

I don't really dig watching any kind of sports, with the exception of some road bike races, but nowadays with all the doping scandals this ain't no fun either.

Cheers, Dave

Pff, playing sports? I'm American. ;)

Actually, I love playing baseball, mountain biking (which I need to do more of, college put me very out of shape), hiking, whitewater rafting, and target pistol and rifle shooting.

• Premium Member

I fly remote control helicopters. I also enjoy working on my home from building the kitchen cabinets, to plumbing, to electrical to everything in between. I basically rebuilt the entire house when we bought it. I've always had a knack for construction and do everything from home repair to building furniture. I have a wood and metal shop so can make anything I need. Cut my thumb off five years ago on a table saw making a doggie door. But they sewed it back on. I'm thinking about getting one of these new table saws that stops and locks the blade instantly if it detects skin touching the blade. I saw a demo and thought it was really cool. I also enjoy the sciences a great deal. I have subscriptions to many peer review journals. That is my reading. I hate fiction books and have never fully read a book in my life as a result. I study psychology as a hobby and how the brain works and why we act the way we do. I am a well versed student of the Enneagram. I also have a degree in astrophysics so am interested in astronomy and earth sciences and have a pretty good knack for predicting the weather. I own two large telescopes (24" and 16") and used to do quite a bit of astrophotography but got board of that after a while. I'm not a big fan of sports but do enjoy a good playoff game in most sports. I wish I could draw half as good as some of you. I use a great story board program that makes up for my lack of drawing ability but I can cook real well and enjoy making restaurant quality meals for my family. Built myself a nice kitchen to do that.

Any other Cricket fans out there? There's a great tri-series on here in Australia at the moment and I'm really looking forward to the IPL but I doubt it will be broadcast here. Ive had a test or an ODI playing in the background for most of the summer. Since I grew up in the states I didn't really pick the habit up until I was older. Now I'm as close to a cricket tragic as you could get.

• Premium Member

I used to play football, baseball, tennis, basketball, and Lacrosse. Now I just watch football. I played Lacrosse in college, but I haven't picked up a stick in probably more than ten years. Now I just lug the steadicam around to stay in shape, although I should probably be better about keeping more active during my time off. I do snowboard now and again, but not as much as I'd like. Most of my time off seems to be split between playing poker and hanging out with friends. I like good beer and good wine (although it's hard to afford too much of it) and good food. I used to spend quite a lot of time just kind of roaming the city and shooting photos, but haven't done that much lately. I read in bursts, my favorite author is Chuck Palahniuk. Another relaxing hobby that I don't really do anymore is knitting. Sounds strange I know, but it was very relaxing, and I made some great gifts for all the women in my life. I also like video games and play them a fair amount.

-I read constantly,

-adventure shop at ethnic grocery stores,

-get lost in different cities or different parts of LA

-Take road trips in my 1967 Volvo 1800s

-Ride Vespas

-yoga (good for balancing from schlepping gear)

-Ride a single speed bike 25-50m a week (no coasting)

-eat at unique ethnic/cheap restaurants

-Go to the Movies as much as possible

-Drink and find a variety of teas from around the world

-Single malt scotch

-Buy Vinyl

-F&AM

.) druming in bands since age 17, and also a bit of guitar.

.) beer

.) cars

wow, this sounds rather redneckish...

.) druming in bands since age 17, and also a bit of guitar.

.) i also enjoy meeting friends an having a beer or two

.) since i already have my 5meter volvo citycar,

i am in need of a proper bus and almost bought this one:

4176_1.jpg

but it was already sold...

• Premium Member

That's quite an impressive list of hobbies. I'm afraid I'm very boring by comparison.

I do enjoy reading and writing. Currently reading: "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad; "The 4-Hour Workweek" by Timothy Ferriss and "Proust and the Squid" by Maryanne Wolf.

I also get great pleasure out of long walks at night. I have various routes but the longest is 6 miles roundtrip and takes me to an eclectic video store.

Then there's the internet with all the podcasts, director's commentaries on DVD's, playing guitar, and cooking italian food from my family's handed down recipes.

Wish I had the scratch to travel, it always gets spent on camera equipment.

• Premium Member
one could easily fit two panthers and 5 drunk freiwillige firefighters in there!

Perfect! A shame it was sold already! You know how you get a cow to drink? You put a firefighter's helmet on its head! (most of you won't understand that one, nevermind! :D)

Cheers, Dave

Good to see that there is moer to people than meets the eye.

I'm 16 so im still at college here in the UK

I drummed untill about 2 weeks when i was kicked out for not being commited enough

Skateboard

Smoke

Drink

Currently not single luckily

Yeah thast about me summed up in what 6 lines?

Woo